is the oil injection reliable on the tg50?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

airbats801
Noob
Noob

is the oil injection reliable on the tg50?

Post by airbats801 »

I picked up a tg50 gyro awhile back, and the oil injection is not working, no tank basically.

I actually am one of the ew who prefer oil injection having 5 yamaha wave runners with it

I've been contemplating getting the tank and seeing if the pump still works, but im curious if it is worth while. I prefer the crank driven style like a spree/wave runner.

Are these known to fail?

If I do keep running without injection, do I need to cap anything off?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: is the oil injection reliable on the tg50?

Post by vintagegarage »

I have a TG50, and still run the oil injection. I have never known one to fail causing lack of oil to the engine. I think though that if there is an internal leak in the oil pump, that the crankcase can fill with oil if the scooter sits for a long time without being started. Heavy smoke upon startup that lasts for a minute or so before clearing up, can indicate an internal leak in the pump. I have one Spree that leaks oil into the cylinder at a rate that it needs to be started once every three months, or the crankcase will fill with oil. The pump in my NN50 Gyro which has a similar engine to the TG50, leaks very badly, and I run that one at least once a week. If I wait a month before starting it, it gets enough oil in the crankcase, so that it probably won't turn over without first turning it over without the sparkplug installed.

I'm running stock oil injection in all my scooters.. can't help you with what you need to block off if you delete the oil injection, but others on this forum have experience with that and hopefully will answer that half of your question..
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

airbats801 wrote:If I do keep running without injection.......
If you have been running with the oil pump IN but no oil running through it, proceed with caution. Those units are not designed to be spun while dry. Much like running a pressure washer with no water. It can eat up a pump rather quickly. I know the two pumps, in comparison, are completely different designs but before you put your faith (and motor) into the pump working, ensure its functioning properly. Just a thought.

Also, be sure to bleed the oil lines prior to the initial start. The Service Manual has easy steps to accomplish this task. Starting with empty lines would have your motor running for a period with ZERO oil. Long enough to cause irreparable damage.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

airbats801 wrote:I picked up a tg50 gyro awhile back, and the oil injection is not working, no tank basically.
Greetings sir "airbats801"... :hi:
Having recently parted-out a TG50M, I have in-hand an oil tank complete with OEM hose to pump.
Should you wish to return your trike to an OEM status with oil pumping as it should,
I would gladly arrange to get this tank in your hands.
Respond here, or send me a PM and we can move forward....motormike... :urban:
BTW, I have been riding an '85 Gryo S for 6-7 years with all components OEM.
I am very, very aggressive with my Gyro S, and have had NO hiccups with anything what-so-ever.
Attachments
Gyro photo.jpg
Gyro photo.jpg (27.1 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"