Carburetor needed for 1982 Honda MB5

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dsandwich
BMX
BMX

Carburetor needed for 1982 Honda MB5

Post by dsandwich »

Folks,
It was pretty easy to find a new carb for my 85 Gyro. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a new carburetor for my 1982 Honda MB?
I gummed mine up with some bad gas (scratch that-- I used an old gas can that must have had some crud in it). Normally, I'd take it apart and clean everything, but I experienced such a dramatic improvement from a new carb on my Gyro that I thought I'd put a new one on my MB5 if the price is right.
Motormike, if you're paying attention, I ran in to a picture from a post 7 (?) years ago of you flogging your Gyro, knee sliders and all. Pretty cool! Oh yeah, separate topic but I'll try it-- where can I find new replacement tires for my Gyro?
Thanks everyone!
motormike

Re: Carburetor needed for 1982 Honda MB5

Post by motormike »

Hello dsandwich... :hi:
Not sure how to help you find a new carb for the MB5...but I will say this.
My NS50 came with a clone carb, and it runs, but is seriously lacking in the performance department.
The OEM Keihin carb also came with the bike, needs a float bowl gasket, so I have not swapped them yet, BUT I WILL !
As for Gyro tires, the OEM size of 4.50 X 6 have been discontinued for a long time.
Some Gyro owners are buying the 5.30 x 4.50 x 6 Carlisle Sawtooth as replacements.
Other makers exist in that size, you will just have to shop around.
Personally, I buy 15.00 x 6.00 x 6 lawn tractor front tires with chevron tread for street/lawn use.
Since I have NO rear fender assembly on my Gyro, clearance is not a factor.
I THINK member SIX66 was running 13.50 x 5.00 x 6 chevron tread WITH rear fender and no rubbing.
My opinion is that the size I am running is far superior to the OEM size for both braking and cornering grip.
Also seeing some slight increase in top speed.
When I was racing on asphalt, my tread choice was a straight rib design, almost slicks actually..but they are lousy for wear.
Member kevinv710 is building a TG50M Gyro S currently, and has been faced with the same dilemma about tires as you.
Might reach out to him for some more input.
Here's a pic of my most recent set of tires...good luck with all...mm... :urban:
Attachments
Gyro parts 005.JPG
Gyro parts 005.JPG (171.52 KiB) Viewed 2270 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"