1999 Elite 50SR Transmission Oil

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Stan1999
Noob
Noob

1999 Elite 50SR Transmission Oil

Post by Stan1999 »

The owner's manual says trans oil is 10W-40 motor oil? Is this correct?

Also, what is the "easiest" way to fill the case?

Lastly, how would the oil leak out of the tranny and where would you see it leaking?

Thanks!

Stan
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Re: 1999 Elite 50SR Transmission Oil

Post by Jonadz »

Correct type yes, I use an old booger sucker from my kids baby years but an oral syringe works to, could leak from gasket around housing? If so usually right at the bottom of the case.
Stan1999
Noob
Noob

Post by Stan1999 »

Thank you!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Theres also two oil seals which could leak. One at the Drive Shaft (clutch shaft) and the other at the Final Shaft (wheel axle).
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
ansneds
Spree
Spree

Post by ansneds »

For the SA50P is it 10W-40 also?
Currently own:
->1995 Honda Elite 50 (Derestricted)
Have previously owned:
->Multiple 94-01 Elite 50s
->1985 and 1986 Honda Sprees
->1985 Honda Aero 50
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

ansneds wrote:For the SA50P is it 10W-40 also?
Yes, same.

This is the stuff I currently have in my scoots. https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Synthe ... B0039OSC72 Ive tried everything from cheapo Walmart stuff to the crazy expensive.

A few months ago I was concerned that my gear case would get extremely hot to the touch after a long ride. I had "mid-grade" oil in the case at the time. After dis-assembly and close gear inspection, I found no friction marks on the gears, case or any signs of binding anywhere. The oil was clean and had zero metallic particles in it. I cut no corners trying to remedy this heat issue. I installed all new bearings and oil seals, then filled it with the "pro-Honda with MOLY" as linked above. Back tire spins effortlessly on the stand when spun by hand and gently comes to a stop with, what seems like, little or no drag. Ten times better than before.

After a long 30 mile test ride I hopped off the scoot and felt the gear case to enjoy the fruits of my labor.....to my dismay, it was just as blazing hot as before. No change. Now I have 4 different bottles of 10w/40 snake oil that I honestly cant tell the performance, heat or lubrication difference between.

Bottom line: dont get the cheapest junk you can find. Get the next step up for $2 more. Just dont go insane and buy overpriced special deluxe oil.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Hi. stay away from Wally World brand oils. Supertech Junk.

Meatball if you install gears on your scoot you have to shave down the plastic or Fiber washer. GL.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

ped wrote: if you install gears on your scoot you have to shave down the plastic or Fiber washer. GL.
Thanks, ped! I tried running without the plastic washer for a bit because assembling WITH the washer would cause binding. I noticed excessive heat and some rubbing against the gear cover where the washer was.....I ultimately shaved the plastic washer to about half of its original thickness and all was happy... :thumbwink:
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Meatball wrote:
ped wrote: if you install gears on your scoot you have to shave down the plastic or Fiber washer. GL.
Thanks, ped! I tried running without the plastic washer for a bit because assembling WITH the washer would cause binding. I noticed excessive heat and some rubbing against the gear cover where the washer was.....I ultimately shaved the plastic washer to about half of its original thickness and all was happy... :thumbwink:
I'm not so confident of the nylon washers' capabilities at half thickness. I believe it has been reported to use the same stainless steel washer on both sides of that gear instead of the thicker nylon/fiber washer. Alternatively, I would not run the gear with no washer against the case. I agree the syringe is the way to fill the gear-case best.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

bonesv wrote: use the same stainless steel washer on both sides of that gear
I had thought of this...however, the Stainless Steel washer is of larger outside diameter than the plastic one. It covers up the oil canal blocking lubrication.

If it was possible to find a stainless steel washer the correct Inside and Outside diameter..while also being the correct thickness, I havent found one.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Meatball wrote:
bonesv wrote: use the same stainless steel washer on both sides of that gear
I had thought of this...however, the Stainless Steel washer is of larger outside diameter than the plastic one. It covers up the oil canal blocking lubrication.

If it was possible to find a stainless steel washer the correct Inside and Outside diameter..while also being the correct thickness, I havent found one.
interesting. I am currently in this boat, test fit a few things and got bind. Also feel hesitant about running nylon washer at half thk, same with covering the oil channels with larger washer (still had bind anyway, this route. may be my particular gear set) luckily, I have found a solution! a yamaha jog vari drive crank washer (vento in my case, which may actually be same as vino/zuma large spline crank, old jogs were small I think..) is the perfect fit. no bind, and ample oil passage space. will try to snap some pics of what I'm talking about, might sound like nonesense to someone scooter uninitiated haha.

good info on the 10w40 gear oil Meatball. sounds like you found a winner.

high heat is pretty typical, especially with the higher range gears (ie 9:1 n up). have had no issues with this tho, even with over something like 10k mi on previous af build. just run good oil, as you pointed out.
projects galore :nerd: