Correct carb for my 85?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

gearjam1
Noob
Noob

Correct carb for my 85?

Post by gearjam1 »

I've received a 1985 Spree 50, with a box of new parts. Friend gave up on paying a local shop, who claimed they couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run... Included in the parts are a new cylinder, piston, rings, and (two??) new carbs... Rather than rebuild the original, I figured the "easy" way would be to toss on one of the new carbs... Finally figured out that neither of the new carburetors have slides that match my original. The slide's in the replacement carbs are probably twice the height (or length) of my original. My best-guess, is that the shop ordered carbs for a later year Spree? (The bore's appear to be the same, as the slides interchange-and externally all 3 appear identical)...

I attempted to install the replacement carburetor(s), but my throttle cable was not long enough to allow any room for the slide to move... I realize I should probably just stop messing around with the wrong carburetors and get a rebuild kit....but, I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this, and if there was a simple way to make what I have work. (Possibly a newer throttle cable?)

I own several motorcycles, and an '85 CH150, but this is my first time to delve into a Spree. I truly appreciate the help with my learning-curve. :) -Tony Carbondale, Il.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Re: Correct carb for my 85?

Post by Jonadz »

Pictures! Will have to resize them for the forum to accept but best bet is pics man!
gearjam1
Noob
Noob

Post by gearjam1 »

I'll shoot some tonight, and will post. Many Thanks! -Tony
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The absolute best carb to use on the STOCK Spree motor is the original carb. Many people seem to think the "easy" thing to do when theyre having carb issues is to buy a cheap replacement. This only replaces one problem for many others. Is there something wrong with the stock carb? Gaskets, float, stripped threads? If its not re-buildable, Im sure theres someone on this board with a spare OEM carb for your Spree.

Also, the "new cylinder, piston, rings" you have...are they quality OEM or cheap replacement parts from an unknown source? There is countless reports of generic cylinder, piston, rings failing prematurely simply from low quality and poor craftsmanship. Im sure youre aware that THIS particular area of the motor is most critical in being precisely manufactured. Like anything in life, you get what you pay for.

Honda has long been regarded as a company that makes well-built reliable motors with long life-spans. Wiether it be a Spree, a Civic or a Lawnmower. When cheap Chinese replacements parts are used...all of this is out the window. Most of the time, replacing components with good USED OEM parts is better than BRAND NEW generic garbage.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
gearjam1
Noob
Noob

Post by gearjam1 »

-That's the million dolla' question re: these parts... Buddy just said that the shop ordered the parts... Bike came with a title, brand new battery, parts, original Honda shop manual, and that's about all I have to go on...but, for free-it was a good-deal. :) Unfortunately no markings on cylinder, and since these are aftermarket carbs, I would guess non-Honda cylinder and piston as-well. Bike is together at this point, except for carburetor. I really don't want to fix it, if it ain't broke. Will do a compression test first, before I tear the jug off and replace good parts with bad. Might even be a broken reed... Unfortunately, I got no clue as to what was wrong with it, prior to it being orphaned on my doorstep... :( I think I'll call the shop, and see if they remember back when this was first brought in.
gearjam1
Noob
Noob

Post by gearjam1 »

Took pics, but of course they were too large to post... Will need to reduce them I guess. Cylinder and piston are most definitely Chinese, due to the crappy casting work I noticed last night. Called the shop...they remember the bike-but not what was wrong. Was told the reed valves almost never break, so I doubt if that's the issue. Compression test is next on the list. Finger over the plug hole doesn't result in much suck and blow...but, it is just a 50cc motor... Shop doesn't think it was them that ordered the carbs and cylinder, and since my buddy isn't in the country anymore-don't have him as a sounding-board. After compression check, I'll rebuild the carb, and go from there. :) I'll keep ya posted.