Good deal? (Honda Express)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

wesrb785
Goped
Goped

Good deal? (Honda Express)

Post by wesrb785 »

I don't know if this post is allowed in this section of the forum If its not can a moderator move it to the correct section.

So I was looking through the Facebook Marketplace when I found a Yellow Honda Express 1979. Cosmetically it looked alright, but it was missing a seat and Headlight. The guy said it needs its points replaced and carb rebuilt. Now I talked to him for a bit and He said I could have for $100 If I like. Now this would be an amazing deal for anyone, but me in my current situation. He has the title as well which is great. Does anyone on these forums have experience with such mopeds? I'd like to know If I could swap the engine instead of replacing it with something cheap like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/49CC-2-STROKE- ... Vj&vxp=mtr. I am kind of unsure whether I should buy this or not. I'm 15 so money doesn't come by easily, but I love vintage scooters and mopeds. Anyways If anyone has Experience with these please reply. I'd like to know If i could swap the engine. How hard would it be?
motormike

Re: Good deal? (Honda Express)

Post by motormike »

Can't give you a full reply at the moment...busy day and all.
Condensed reply = forget this terrible idea.
Express can be swapped, yes, but the engine you linked is a total P.O.S.
EDIT: Firstly, $100 for an Express of unknown status
is NOT a good deal. I sell those to a guy for $25-$50 who strictly deals with Express.
Headlights and buckets are usually bad, cracked, burnt out, and hard to find in good condition.
Seats can be covered, provided the foam isn't roached, which it usually is.
I think $50 is fair price for Express that will need points and carb cleaning...
but the end result would have to be amazing to be worth much more than $300.
It is beyond my comprehension how some people think a Honda Express can bring
prices in the 500-1000 dollar range, but they pop up on Craigslist occasionally.
IF YOU end up with this Express, consider it a "learning tool" that will give you much
in the way of practical experience wrenching on scooters.
I admit, a fine-running Express is a blast to ride when not attempted
in city traffic. Best of luck, but offer him $50 if you're up for a challenge.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

100 bucks for a Honda Express with title? Take it if you're into restorations, great deal. Forget that engine swap idea. I do know there is an MLM pipe available for it though, which would be cool.

https://www.treatland.tv/MLM-honda-expr ... pe-327.htm

If it were me, I'd re-ring the piston, maybe even a hone job. Use the MLM, clean, prep and paint it. Restore whatever else needs done. Pat myself on the back, then stick it under a tarp... but that's me. Some actually might want to drive it.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

No scooter you buy for $100 will come "turn-key" and ready to ride with no other investments. If something is being sold cheap, it will require additional work/money to be good to go....you can count on it.

With you being 15yrs old and full-time school (I assume) with no steady income/employment, I suggest you SAVE your money. Do odd jobs, wash cars, mow lawns, etc etc....once youve collected around $500-$600, purchase a NICE scooter that needs little-to-no work. This would provide you with much more enjoyment than a repair project with a low purchase price.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
wesrb785
Goped
Goped

Post by wesrb785 »

Thanks everyone for all your advice / opinions. I guess i'll save my money a bit more like meatball said. I just hate waiting lol. I kinda know a little about scooters as I worked with my old one for a couple of months. I actually would of had $450 If I didn't spend it on pizza and scooter parts for my old one, I'm not to good with money haha.
wesrb785
Goped
Goped

Post by wesrb785 »

Hey how hard would it be to install a clutch for an 88 elite? I saw one for sale that runs that needs a throttle cable and clutch for cheap would My 97 elites clutch work?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Clutches from 1985 Aero through 2001 Elite can be interchanged. Installation step-by-step is in Tech sections somewhere. Not hard, but a few special holder tools simplify the process.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
wesrb785
Goped
Goped

Post by wesrb785 »

Thanks Wheelman the Elite I'm looking out is in outstanding condition (for the price) they want $100 for it. I think I'll go for it since it runs. Do you know if the floor plastics are interchangle as well?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

No direct experience, but it is my impression that although Honda-san swapped the AF05 engines out for the AF16 in 1994, the bodywork was the same from 1988 clear through 2001 here in the U. S. and A.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
wesrb785
Goped
Goped

Post by wesrb785 »

Thanks for your help Wheelman!