Kymco People af18 clone swap to 92 Elite SR?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Centralscrutinizer
Noob
Noob

Kymco People af18 clone swap to 92 Elite SR?

Post by Centralscrutinizer »

Hey guys, trying to figure out if this will work. I stripped the starter splines on the crank shaft of my 92 Elite motor. I ground down the drive boss in order to get some bite on the tiny bit of splines that aren't stripped. This worked, but now the kick starter won't engage and there is a flat spot around 15 mph because the variator is now closer to the starter gear. I don't want to put a new crankshaft in and I'd love to have some more power. So I am looking for an economical (under $300) way to swap in a AF16 or a kymco clone. There is a non running 2006 50cc Kymco People for sale cheap near me. http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Kymco/ ... eople.html says it uses the clone, but I'd imagine the 16" wheels are going to be an issue. I really appreciate any information you guys can give me, and I have a few questions.

I read somewhere on here that the gears from my AF05e would swap on, can anyone verify this?
If this will work, how difficult is it to change gears? Do I need any specialized tools besides an impact gun?
Motorscooterguide also says "In the People 50 Kymco gave it a restricted variator (ÔÇ£transmissionÔÇØ) until 2005 and then switched to using both a restricted transmission and exhaust. So the latter years are more difficult and expensive to bring up to speed." What would derestricting this motor entail?

Let me know if this is a pipe dream, I appreciate any feedback. Here's a pic of the scooter for attention.