86 Spree - Must hold rear brake to run

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jsimon321
Noob
Noob

86 Spree - Must hold rear brake to run

Post by Jsimon321 »

My 86 Spree runs fine while increasing the throttle while holding the rear brake but the engine will shut off once that pressure on the rear brake is released. In fact, the scooter will increase in speed (to a certain point) the harder the rear brake is activated. I have cleaned the carb and replaced the air filter, and the issue is not affected.
I am not very technical and have struggled to figure out a solution to this problem. Any ideas on what the cause of this issue is, or suggestions on how to resolve it?
bonesv

Re: 86 Spree - Must hold rear brake to run

Post by bonesv »

Jsimon321 wrote:My 86 Spree runs fine while increasing the throttle while holding the rear brake but the engine will shut off once that pressure on the rear brake is released. In fact, the scooter will increase in speed (to a certain point) the harder the rear brake is activated. I have cleaned the carb and replaced the air filter, and the issue is not affected.
I am not very technical and have struggled to figure out a solution to this problem. Any ideas on what the cause of this issue is, or suggestions on how to resolve it?
It sounds to me like your carburetor may not be completely, or properly cleaned. I refer you to the Wikispreedia http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page section for the correct information on cleaning your carburetor, and other related bits of know-how. Don't get discouraged, it may just be something you missed. Good luck, welcome to the forum, and ask more questions if needed.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Jsimon321
Noob
Noob

Re: 86 Spree - Must hold rear brake to run

Post by Jsimon321 »

Thank you for your advice. I am going to give the carb a more thorough cleaning. The link you shared will be extremely helpful.