1984 Honda Nifty 50 (NQ50)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1984 Honda Nifty 50 (NQ50)

Post by benji »

I found two sprees close by to me on Craigslist, they both want $500us w/o titles, ones missing some plastics. But they've been there a while tho.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

We scooter collectors are few n far between haha.
rayraynz
Noob
Noob

Post by rayraynz »

so...............I have now been using this scooter Since early January to commute to and from work every day (approx 10.4 kms per day) and its running as well as it is going to I would imagine.

I know its an old scooter and have very limited power however was wonder if there were any easy mods that could be done to give me a higher top speed.

Currently sitting at 40km up hill, 47-50kms on the flat, and 54-60 on a good down hill.

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am having an occasional problem with the starter cog engaging. The cog will spin and screech and fails to engage. I have worked out that if i just lift the rear of the scooter, drop it from about 1/2 a foot, this "shakes/shunts" the cog into position, and then it starts first pop. Has anyone else experienced this, and how did they deal with it?

Thanks.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Couple things that you could and should do, would be to take out the starter bendix, and lightly grease it up, Then check the wear of the belt. Change to a new one, which you can get from a Honda dealer, run a 600 grit along the drive and driven face to scuff em a bit and to clean any rubber off that may have grimed in. Scuff up the clutch shoes and bell housing as well, give the clutch a better bite down. New, properly gapped Honda approved plug, new honda brand filter pre oiled. Consider changing all rubber (oil line, fuel lines, tires, etc) piece by piece, it's cheap to do, will save future headaches from happening, lets you focus on where to find best performance out of it.

P.S. Glad to hear you kept it!! Great choice. :2thumbs:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Oh, and one more thing on the rubber replacement. One that is often overlooked is the rubber ring inside the oil pump. When people talk about premixing because they fear the pump is gonna fail, what they might not know, is typically, when the pump begins to fail, the problem isn't that it isn't giving enough oil, but rather it is putting out too much oil because the ring failed and more is seeping in clogging up the muffler, messing with the fuel.. etc.. The rubber in the oil pump should be replaced simply because it is probably well over 30 years old and has deteriorated to a degree. And they're cheap too!! And still available from Honda.. actually, most ANYTHING rubber is still sold by Honda for your bike, so you should be able to find these parts in the land of Kiwi birds.
rayraynz
Noob
Noob

Post by rayraynz »

Thanks for you reply and advice.

I will make contact with my local Honda dealer and see what parts are available.

Also my fuel gauge is not working which is a shame, took the mechanism apart and it appears the contacts on the arm which indicates the level are not there or just arnt touching.

Does anyone have any advise re repairing these? Or is replacement the only option?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Part number for that O-ring I spoke of, is 91301-147-023
If your local dealer does not have one, nor can they get one, then try finding an (18.3X2.3) ring.

Belt part number is 23100-GK8-870. Other rubber parts like hoses can be found at your automotive shops.
woodsie2012
Noob
Noob

Post by woodsie2012 »

Im in nz too and new to this forum. I paid $1000nzd for a mint running and registered nifty. Parts are quite hard to find as they are a bit rare here but then again they always have been. To be quite honest one of the most coolest japanese scooters is the nifty. I was gonna daily mine the 10km(4ish miles) eachway to work and back, but to find out that they are more like a collectors piece i may have to reconsider.
motormike

Post by motormike »

woodsie2012 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:33 am Im in nz too and new to this forum. I paid $1000nzd for a mint running and registered nifty. Parts are quite hard to find as they are a bit rare here but then again they always have been. To be quite honest one of the most coolest japanese scooters is the nifty. I was gonna daily mine the 10km(4ish miles) eachway to work and back, but to find out that they are more like a collectors piece i may have to reconsider.
I say "Ride it" if you can justify owning it. Not much to maintain as for wear items.
I do understand though that getting ANY part for them in NZ is difficult.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"