1984 Honda Nifty 50 (NQ50)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

rayraynz
Noob
Noob

1984 Honda Nifty 50 (NQ50)

Post by rayraynz »

Hello everyone,

I have just picked up a 1984 Honda Nifty NQ50 which has been used a a golf scooter for the last 10 years.

I have no experience with these scooters so wanted to ask a few questions.

The scooter is stock standard apart from the tyres which have been fitted for use on the golf course.

I have been using if for the last 2 weeks commuting to and from work, only 3km.

1 - What would the expected speeds this scooter should travel. I am currently experience 40-44km an hour on the flat, 37-39km up hill, and approx 50-50km when going downhill.

2 - I am often experiencing slow take off speed (low rpms) and once the rpms pick up, it goes fine. How can this be fixed

3 - There was an issue with the oil tank, so i have disabled this and running a premix 40;1, is this ok?

4 - Are the horns on these scooters all high frequency horns that I would compare to a shopping checkout scanning buzzer?

Thanks for your help and look forward to any replys / help.

Ray
Attachments
Scooter.JPG
Scooter.JPG (74.6 KiB) Viewed 9343 times
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: 1984 Honda Nifty 50 (NQ50)

Post by vintagegarage »

1. your speeds are pretty close to normal. When new and in tip top shape, you should expect about 50-52 KM per hour on the level and also when going downhill. Speed uphill depends on the steepness of the hill, but your speed is about right for a very steep hill.
2. the slow takeoff speed can't be fixed. There is no variator in your scooter, so takeoff is like starting in high gear.
3. yes, ok, but you would do better to get a used oil tank with no issues and use it instead of pre-mixing.
4. not sure about the horns in the New Zealand versions, but the U.S. versions sound like a beep instead of a honk.

Have a look at http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Spree/Spree.html for more info..
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

If you ever feel like selling it please post it here as there are quite a few rare parts on that bike. Nice find!
rayraynz
Noob
Noob

Post by rayraynz »

Vintagrgarage - Thanks for your response and appreciate your help.

I think parts are very limited in New Zealand so unsure if I could source one but will look. What is the issues with premixing other than the inconvenience?

benji - Thanks for your response.

There is a change I am going to sell the scooter after summer however not sure how that would work logistically with the bike being located in New Zealand a large number of members to this forum being in America.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Your bike is a Spree, but the front plastics and turn signals are different. So for engine parts most Spree/ Elite E parts will work.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

You can break it down and ship it fairly easily, or offer parts for sale from it. The headset, controls, seat, taillight, and plastics are all probably worth quite a bit of money here or eBay or on Facebook (crazy popular in Hawaii)
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Eclark is right it's basically a spree with different trim. I may have a an oil tank if you need one. Maybe a horn too.

This should be in eclarks or vintagegarages collection haha.
rayraynz
Noob
Noob

Post by rayraynz »

eclark5483 wrote:Your bike is a Spree, but the front plastics and turn signals are different. So for engine parts most Spree/ Elite E parts will work.
Thanks, I understand they were released to the New Zealand market as a ÔÇ£Honda Nifty 50ÔÇØ!

So what parts can be used? Or is there another motor that can be straight swapped in the event this motor doesnÔÇÖt last long!!
rayraynz
Noob
Noob

Post by rayraynz »

benji wrote:You can break it down and ship it fairly easily, or offer parts for sale from it. The headset, controls, seat, taillight, and plastics are all probably worth quite a bit of money here or eBay or on Facebook (crazy popular in Hawaii)
Thanks, what kind of money are we talking if I was to sell it complete? Or as individual parts?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

The plastics, gauge, and turn signals would probably net you the best profit. The frame and engine, not so much. Don't want to give a price guess on those because I don't believe in speculating on an uncommon/rare bike but for sure much higher then what a Spree's plastics would top out at. But yeah, would be a nice addition to my collection, but I'm too busy already with other projects. Can't afford to take on another.
rayraynz
Noob
Noob

Post by rayraynz »

Found these documents under the seat!!

Owners Manual.
Attachments
Owner Manual 1.JPG
Owner Manual 1.JPG (40.26 KiB) Viewed 9301 times
Owner Manual 2.JPG
Owner Manual 2.JPG (56.14 KiB) Viewed 9301 times
Owner Manual 3.JPG
Owner Manual 3.JPG (33.42 KiB) Viewed 9301 times
rayraynz
Noob
Noob

Post by rayraynz »

Found these documents under the seat.

Service and Warranty Book
Attachments
Warrant and Service Record 2.JPG
Warrant and Service Record 2.JPG (96.1 KiB) Viewed 9301 times
Warrant and Service Record 3.JPG
Warrant and Service Record 3.JPG (101.57 KiB) Viewed 9301 times
Warrant and Service Record 4.JPG
Warrant and Service Record 4.JPG (117.99 KiB) Viewed 9301 times
rayraynz
Noob
Noob

Post by rayraynz »

Front Cover of Service Manual
Attachments
Warrant and Service Record 1.JPG
Warrant and Service Record 1.JPG (43.77 KiB) Viewed 9301 times
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Ha! And it comes with a manual. That alone is probably worth something haha. Value is hard to place but I would check eBay and some other places for spree parts to get a feel for em. As for motor swaps, I think you typically have to make a custom mount but an aero or tact or elite or dio motor would fit nicely (af05, af16, af18)
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

So, I read your private message, and like I said, I don't want to speculate, but.... According to YOU, you can get about $800 (New Zealand currency) for it, which translates to roughly $580 US. I guess what I could tell you, is that within the US, if you offered myself or other serious collectors that bike for that much, I would see it as a steal in comparison to what the average Spree goes for if it's in good condition. So with that being said, I will say you are probably low balling yourself if you sell for that amount. If I had the room, funds & time, my offer to you... and this is just ME, not a speculation... would probably be at $13-1400 New Zealand value ($1,000 US).

The condition of the plastics, in my opinion, is right where I'd want them to be. It's not color or fading I am focusing on, (I can fix that), I am looking at how well 30+ year old, probably irreplaceable, plastic has held up. Things to your benefit, would be if the instrument panel isn't too worn or faded and looks almost new. I want to "SHOW" the bike and expect it to be dressed to the 9's for the occasion. Your plastics are ULTRA RARE in the US, but on the other hand... you are now the owner of an Ultra Rare scoot, if it were me, I'd fix it.

But then, I am not a scooter rider per say, I am a hobbyist and collector, so that would be it's value to myself personally. I imagine you could net higher from other serious collectors... trouble is, finding them.. But welcome to this web site, it is a good start.

My welcoming gift to you is a link to a write up I did about your engine. I know living in NZ makes getting the parts harder, maybe you'll end up selling it, maybe you'll just fix it up right, maybe you wanna make it go zoom. We're all here to help.

http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34653

Start there when it comes to the engine upgrading, there are other articles for other topics. Generally, anything NQ50/Spree on this site, will apply to you.
Scooter.JPG
Scooter.JPG (74.6 KiB) Viewed 9268 times