Crank Questions - Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

herbiedriver2
Noob
Noob

Crank Questions - Spree

Post by herbiedriver2 »

I need a bit of information regarding a Spree crank...

I am trying to figure out what bearings it needs, the manual shows two different types and only one is available anymore. I have searched and found a ton on how to remove but not much on what I need as far as replacement.

The second is does anyone know what the specs are for the nut on the crankshaft flywheel side? I have a crank that came in this bucket o'parts that doesn't have the nut, plus it has a mushroomed end from the PO hammering it out of the case... So I need two... One for the final application and the other I am thinking of splitting and using as a thread chaser. The threads nearest the internals are fine, so I figure if I can split a nut, clamp it on and walk it off I should be good...

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks!
kuromi
Spree
Spree

Re: Crank Questions - Spree

Post by kuromi »

Bearings usually have a code stamped on the side of them. Use this to look for alternatives as it'll bring up stuff not listed as Honda parts.

Just had to do this myself to repair my washing machine (not a euphemism for any of my scoots btw :) )
1983 Melody Deluxe II / ND50MC
1984 Melody Mini / NP50D
1979 Simson Schwalbe KR51/1 (think 2 wheel trabant/ East German Honda Cub)
motormike

Post by motormike »

Your proposed method of splitting and then chasing threads as you remove the split nut shows some innovative thinking. However, I expect this will lead to the harder crank being unaffected while the softer nut will self-destruct. Either chasing the threads with an appropriately matched thread file, OR grinding the mushroom end just enough to fit the correct die and re-threading. Best o'luck. :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
herbiedriver2
Noob
Noob

Post by herbiedriver2 »

Yeah I think the idea is a bit off, but I don't have a ton of monetary resources to throw into this, plus it's a challenge. I figure if I heat harden the split nut it will be harder than the crank, which by the way, is incredibly soft!

Will keep you posted...
herbiedriver2
Noob
Noob

Post by herbiedriver2 »

Just an FYI in case anyone else is looking... the thread pitch and size on the crank nuts is M10 1.25
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I bought one of these.. $7 including shipping, and it arrived three days after purchase. "just sayin"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Irwin-6639-M10 ... 2749.l2649