Newb problems

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

lvd2340
Noob
Noob

Newb problems

Post by lvd2340 »

I have an 86 Spree that i am having problems with. I have gone through and installed a new air filter, spark plug and taken apart and cleaned the carb. When i first tried starting it nothing would happen, i had spark but it seemed as though i had no vacuum. When i pulled the fuel line off and turned the motor over i would get no fuel. I put i vacuum tester to the fuel valve and that worked with no problem. I then had taken the air intake pipe off to try something, it still would not start but when i plugged off the carb with my finger it would start up but as soon as i took my finger off it would die after a couple of seconds. I then re-installed the air intake and it will now start but it idles like it has full throttle and will not come down. I have the air screw at 1 1/2 turns and changing that in or out has no effect. What may i have done wrong? :?:
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

un screw the idle screw to bring eng. speed down.(top big screw with spring)
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
lvd2340
Noob
Noob

Post by lvd2340 »

Tried that, had no effect. Engine runs likes it at full throttle. Tried adjusting throttle cable, also no effect.
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

Post by mikehailwood »

When you twist the throttle does the carb slide (valve) move up and down properly? Some times the slide will stick or hang up in the open postiion. Make sure the slide is moving freely. Also make sure it is installed properly. The slide has a groove on each side. One runs the full length top to bottom and is positioned facing away from you as you look at the installed carb. The other groove is short (maybe 1/4") and is facing you as you look at the installed carb. This groove has an angled cut which when struck by the movement of the idle screw either raises or lowers the slide thereby increasig or decreasing the idle speed. It is possible to install the slide backward and not get it lowered to the slower idle position. Once properly installed, you should be able to hear the slide bottom in the carb when you release the throttle to idle position (engne not running, of course)..
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

thats tru its easy to make that mistake.because it looks like thats how it goes in and it will go in that way.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx