Spree/Elite carb interchange question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

sgracer5072
Noob
Noob

Spree/Elite carb interchange question

Post by sgracer5072 »

Okay, this is probably a dumb one, but here goes. I have an 84 Spree that I am having a devil of a time getting the float valve to seal. I've done the toothpaste procedure (made it better) replaced the float valve (actual Honda part) no change, and carefully checked the float for leaks. Occasionally, my petcock doesn't shut in absence of vacuum and when that happens the carb overflows. So here's the question. I have an 89 Elite LX with a stock Keihin carb that works perfectly, and I am in the process of installing a Malossi BBK and a Polini carb, so the Elite carb would be available. If I were to jet accordingly, would the Elite Keihin be suitable to replace the possessed Spree carb? Just wondering. Kinda new to the scooter world and a bit unsure of interchangeability. Any advice would be much appreciated.
kuromi
Spree
Spree

Re: Spree/Elite carb interchange question

Post by kuromi »

Don't see why there should be any problem if you jet correctly.
I've seen fuel injected engines converted to carbs - just different methods of mixing the air and fuel.

May need a bit of fettling to get it to attach to the inlet stub and airbox correctly without any air leaks.
1983 Melody Deluxe II / ND50MC
1984 Melody Mini / NP50D
1979 Simson Schwalbe KR51/1 (think 2 wheel trabant/ East German Honda Cub)
Wheelman-111

Re: Spree/Elite carb interchange question

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The carb should work, but fitment may be an issue. I've encountered this once; I sold my Aero carb to a Spree owner. Note that the position of the bystarter assembly is outboard on the Spree, inboard on the Elite/Aero. The buyer of my Aero carb insisted that the bystarter fouled the shock when mounted to the Spree, and I had to buy my Aero carb back.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH