Question on Spree brakes

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Proy
Noob
Noob

Question on Spree brakes

Post by Proy »

Hey guys. New to the site was recommended here by a user on 49cc scoot. I just bought a Spree as my first endeavor into 2 stroke scooters. I'm going to do some research myself, but can someone help me by letting me know what I can use for replacement brake pads? The ones on the bike are shot and I don't know where to start seeing how its a 30 year old bike.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Question on spree breaks

Post by eclark5483 »

I recommend EBC brand brakes for your bike. Can be found on eBay for under $15:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 5573.m1684

I also recommend greasing the cables for the breaks, if they are too tight, you can find brand new ones on eBay as well from forum member Tazland001. I can't say that I would ever recommend buying a used cable when you can get a new one that isn't over 30 years old for a decent price.
Last edited by eclark5483 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proy
Noob
Noob

Re: Question on spree breaks

Post by Proy »

Thank you for the quick reply.
Proy
Noob
Noob

Re: Question on Spree brakes

Post by Proy »

I'm going to grease my cables and see what happens. I'm going to probably replace the return spring in the rear and start looking for a set of forks. I would like to do a hydraulic front brake at the very least and fabbing the triple tree or integrating it into the existing setup doesn't look too complicated.
Wheelman-111

Re: Question on Spree brakes

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The return spring seldom needs replacement. What often does need attention is the brake cam - the steel tries to Become One with the Aluminum in the brake panel/housing. It sometimes seizes so badly that a bike left with the parking brake engaged won't release. Even after removing the nut, the brake actuator shaft can require a large Persuader to knock it out. Then clean up the shaft interface and the hole in the panel with a wire brush without removing TOO much material. Grease liberally with a high-temperature grease and reassemble.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH