'96 Honda Elite SR50 restore help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: '96 Honda Elite SR50 restore help

Post by noiseguy »

BimmyLee27 wrote:Thanks for the info. I'll test to see if the engine is full of oil tonight. Assuming it is full and I drain it, what is the fix so it doesn't leak internally any more?
Dangle the pump out of the case over some newspaper for a week or so and see how much drips out. If a few drops over a week... leave it alone... problem solved by just riding the bike weekly. You can swage a new seal in (have seen it done once) but typically pump gets replaced at that point or bypass pump and premix fuel.

Reminder that you should *always* verify pump works on new to you bike. I've rebuilt at least one bottom end on scooter where guy forgot to do that and trashed the bearings.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
BimmyLee27
Noob
Noob

Post by BimmyLee27 »

The weather cooperated last night so I got the bike out for 10 minutes and rode it around the subdivision. It hesitated for a second, but once it was warmed up it ran like a bat out of *. It ran so good I don't even think I'm going to mess with the belt. I plan on mounting the tires tomorrow night and once they are on I can start putting everything back together on the back end. I still need to clean up the front but that should be pretty quick.
BimmyLee27
Noob
Noob

Post by BimmyLee27 »

Got the scooter all finished up today. I spent way too much time cleaning the 22 years of crap off of it, but it looks pretty good from 5 feet away. I can't say I'm a fan of all the clips on the side panels, really a pain in the butt. Fresh Michelins make it feel like a new bike.

Here it is with the rest of my toys

Anyone know what this rubber washer goes to? That's the big screw that holds the luggage box to the battery cover. I thought it went with that but after looking at a parts diagram I can't find where it goes either.