'96 Honda Elite SR50 restore help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

BimmyLee27
Noob
Noob

'96 Honda Elite SR50 restore help

Post by BimmyLee27 »

Hey all, I posted this over on Reddit and was directed here for more knowledge. :coolcruise:

My dad has a '96 Elite SR50 that is in pretty poor shape and I want to restore it the best that I can for him. Oddly enough it was outside once when it was hailing and some of the plastics got cracked. What's the best place to find purple plastics? Probably just pray they pop up on eBay?

It also runs like crap. Last time I rode it, it would barely get over 20mph. What are some common maintenance parts I should expect to buy? Last time I rode it and helped load it into a truck the whole underneath was covered in oil. (something has probably been slowly leaking for years, it was a mess)

Tires? And tubes?

Brakes?

I want to get most of this stuff ordered in the next couple of nights so it's here when he drops it off and can tear it down and start working on it. I'm sure with a lot of elbow grease and a lot of factory screws/fasteners it will clean up pretty good. I'll get some pics up when he drops it off.

I have a '05 Zuma that I tore down to the frame/engine to clean, I've got a few bikes and do maintenance on those, how hard is tearing down an Elite?

Here's the Zuma torn down, and the rest of my collection. I hope to find an Elite SR50 like my dads one day but they seem impossible to find now a days.

'05 CRF70, '15 CRF250L, '15 Grom, '05 Zuma

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: '96 Honda Elite SR50 restore help

Post by Meatball »

Teardown is easy. Do it once and youÔÇÖll see. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hSFuAFpK9eY

As with any newly acquired vehicle, a full inspection of all areas is recommended. Replacing all worn parts and fixing any leaks. A good cleaning will help find leaks and other potential issues hiding under the grime. A fresh air filter and sparkplug is a good start as well as a thourough cleaning of the carburetor. Draining old fuel/oil and replacing with fresh will ensure your scoot is getting what it needs there. All of these together will cost about $20.

Once that is complete (and carb is set to factory settings) give your scoot a run. If youre still having issues, come back. Most common issues with a scoot is that they are simply victims of poor (or no) maintenance.

Body panels....good luck.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
BimmyLee27
Noob
Noob

Post by BimmyLee27 »

Meatball wrote:Teardown is easy. Do it once and youÔÇÖll see. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hSFuAFpK9eY

As with any newly acquired vehicle, a full inspection of all areas is recommended. Replacing all worn parts and fixing any leaks. A good cleaning will help find leaks and other potential issues hiding under the grime. A fresh air filter and sparkplug is a good start as well as a thourough cleaning of the carburetor. Draining old fuel/oil and replacing with fresh will ensure your scoot is getting what it needs there. All of these together will cost about $20.

Once that is complete (and carb is set to factory settings) give your scoot a run. If youre still having issues, come back. Most common issues with a scoot is that they are simply victims of poor (or no) maintenance.

Body panels....good luck.
Awesome! Thank you. There's a Honda dealer a few miles from me that I frequent, is the Honda GN2 2 stroke oil the way to go?

I found this video as well, looks like the oil tank leaking is possibly the cause of the mess on my dads. My Zuma was leaking in almost the same place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIhxrs33CuM
BimmyLee27
Noob
Noob

Post by BimmyLee27 »

I finally got the scooter in my garage yesterday and started tearing it down. It's actually in way better shape than I remembered. It could use a seat cover, the foot floor board is cracked in a couple places, but everything else mostly needs a good cleaning. The tires are shot but and it doesn't want to go over 10mph though without sputtering. I'm hoping the exhaust is just plugged up as the carb didn't seem too bad on the inside. My dad said the gas wasn't that old but I drained it out to be safe.

Here's how it arrived.

Only 3600 miles on the odometer

I'm hoping most of these scuffs will buff out.

I'm not sure where the oil is coming from. It's not that bad but there's a little bit everywhere. I'm guessing some of the oil was from missing the tank.

The carb was an oily mess on the outside.

Here it is after a good cleaning inside and out.

Here it is after a lot of cleaning. Brake clean works good, but Maxima CleanUp chain cleaner works amazing on this oily goo. It really breaks it down and allows it to be washed off.

Here's how it currently sits. I'm going to surprise my dad with new tires as well. I'll probably tear into the front end once I get the back put back together.

BimmyLee27
Noob
Noob

Post by BimmyLee27 »

Also, someone local is selling a new Elite S muffler, 18300-GS7-980. This Elite SR calls for the 18300-GS7-950, muffler. They claim it can be derestricted to work on my scooter. How hard is that to do and is it really the only difference? Nothing else internal?
motormike

Post by motormike »

You can support this forum by purchasing your air filter from our admin, noiseguy.
Here is a link to his ebay store>>> http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
You will find that a heat-gun will bring new life to those badly aged gray plastics. ;) Search this forum for reference.
G'luck in this endeavor to bring your father some happiness on two wheels... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Thanks MM!

Those bikes can develop a slow oil leak and fill up bottom end with oil. If bottom end is full you can remove engine and drain out through oil pump hole, overnight. You'll know bottom end is full if you crank it over with plug out... it will spew oil *everywhere.* This is something you want to deal with while torn down... ask me how I know. If bottom end is drained like this, empty as best you can and run bike outside... let it run until it quits smoking. This will clear the bottom end... also fouls the plug so plan on replacing it after you've done this.

That bodywork is not bad, and getting harder to find. I'd freshen up the foot panels with old school rattlecan bumper cover paint (Oriellys will carry it in MO) which is sort of a flatish gray and a perfect match to Honda panels. Wax the purple and call it good.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
BimmyLee27
Noob
Noob

Post by BimmyLee27 »

motormike wrote:You can support this forum by purchasing your air filter from our admin, noiseguy.
Here is a link to his ebay store>>> http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
You will find that a heat-gun will bring new life to those badly aged gray plastics. ;) Search this forum for reference.
G'luck in this endeavor to bring your father some happiness on two wheels... :urban:
Dang, I actually ran to the Honda dealer at lunch and picked up a handful of screws/bolts for the panels that were missing and an airfilter and spark plug.
BimmyLee27
Noob
Noob

Post by BimmyLee27 »

noiseguy wrote:Thanks MM!

Those bikes can develop a slow oil leak and fill up bottom end with oil. If bottom end is full you can remove engine and drain out through oil pump hole, overnight. You'll know bottom end is full if you crank it over with plug out... it will spew oil *everywhere.* This is something you want to deal with while torn down... ask me how I know. If bottom end is drained like this, empty as best you can and run bike outside... let it run until it quits smoking. This will clear the bottom end... also fouls the plug so plan on replacing it after you've done this.

That bodywork is not bad, and getting harder to find. I'd freshen up the foot panels with old school rattlecan bumper cover paint (Oriellys will carry it in MO) which is sort of a flatish gray and a perfect match to Honda panels. Wax the purple and call it good.
Thanks for the info. I'll test to see if the engine is full of oil tonight. Assuming it is full and I drain it, what is the fix so it doesn't leak internally any more?

I just ordered some Michelin S1 tires too. :peace:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

BimmyLee27 wrote:Also, someone local is selling a new Elite S muffler
How much is he asking for it?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
BimmyLee27
Noob
Noob

Post by BimmyLee27 »

Meatball wrote:
BimmyLee27 wrote:Also, someone local is selling a new Elite S muffler
How much is he asking for it?
$50 + shipping. He's a couple hours away so fortunately shipping is cheap. The dealer said they are showing they can still order them for about $110. Partzilla is $93+shipping.
BimmyLee27
Noob
Noob

Post by BimmyLee27 »

Ended up getting a new muffler from eBay.

With the new muffler on the bike sounds very healthy. However it still has a hesitation around 10mph. I thought I heard something 'jingling' in the rear while riding. I took the cover off and started the bike on the kickstand and let it idle for 30 seconds and the sound was definitely coming from there, but I had to shut it off because the noise got really loud. Can you run the bike with the cover off?

How bad is this belt and belt dust? I figure it's 22 years old I might as well order a new belt.
I'm assuming the green gasket is factory?

Belt
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda ... 3ddc3861d5

Gasket
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda ... 5297f631fc
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Do not run the scooter with the cover off unless you have removed the pinion gear first. That noise you're hearing could very well be from the pinion gear which is mounted just in front of the drive face/variator. While the motor is idling, it can jiggle around just enough to brush into the drive face and sound like little bells ringing. That's normal. But when you take the cover off, it can move around a lot more and may try to jam into the drive face while it's running causing a severe problem.
You can still purchase the floor plastic from Honda last time I looked, but as previously mentioned, the parts are becoming obsolete when depleted. Especially the plastic parts! Looking good so far! Thanks for the pics and good luck!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
BimmyLee27
Noob
Noob

Post by BimmyLee27 »

bonesv wrote:Do not run the scooter with the cover off unless you have removed the pinion gear first. That noise you're hearing could very well be from the pinion gear which is mounted just in front of the drive face/variator. While the motor is idling, it can jiggle around just enough to brush into the drive face and sound like little bells ringing. That's normal. But when you take the cover off, it can move around a lot more and may try to jam into the drive face while it's running causing a severe problem.
You can still purchase the floor plastic from Honda last time I looked, but as previously mentioned, the parts are becoming obsolete when depleted. Especially the plastic parts! Looking good so far! Thanks for the pics and good luck!
Whoops. Hopefully I didn't cause any damage. Good to hear the light ringing is normal. The new tires should be delivered tonight so I am excited to get those on. I just need to figure out the hesitation the bike has. I'll get a video of it once the tires are on, maybe someone will be able to diagnose.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

id get a new belt and hoses plug personally. check out scooterswapshop.com also. they have tons of stuff for these and are great dudes. also might want to drain the gear oil and fill with fresh. make sure you airbox is tight they dont like to run unless its buttoned up like honda intended. also sometimes it might take several runs at cleaning the carb before its actually clean. seen it alot. old hose may look good but have small cracks that cause it to have air leaks. i dont run a gasket on the kicker cover now I have it spaced out so its pointless be even before that I never have. but you can use some gasket material and cut your own out. its not doing anything other than keeping dirt out and spacing your kicker/starter gears out to the right distance.
if your bike is still not running well past 10mph id check fuel flow make sure jets are clear, spark, and air box is connected properly. sounds to me though that your fuel flow isnt what it needs to be.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY