Starter Pinion Noise / Kickstart Sticks wonÔÇÖt run!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

M1ZZHEAD
Noob
Noob

Starter Pinion Noise / Kickstart Sticks wonÔÇÖt run!

Post by M1ZZHEAD »

Hey, new to this site but been lurking for a little bit. A little history of the scoot.. itÔÇÖs a 1994 Honda Elite SR50 with 8100 miles. Bought it running rough because it sat over winter, got new gas and ran it and it ran well. Bought the transmission kit from scooterswapshop and installed new gears, belt, CDI, variator and clutch springs which where I run into my problem.
Everything turns easy when the case is off, I put everything on and when using the electric start, the starter pinion makes a tinging sound as if itÔÇÖs not going up all the way and then gets stuck.
The kickstart also gets stuck and doesnÔÇÖt spring back up. I checked and it looks like the driven gear gets stuck up. The gear only has two tiny chips in it which is why IÔÇÖm thinking it gets stuck. It didnÔÇÖt get stuck when I first bought and IÔÇÖve got it to work once at of the 50 times IÔÇÖve had this thing on and off.
When I finally got it started the wheel wasnÔÇÖt spinning and then it would die if I wasnÔÇÖt giving it gas. So I took everything off thinking the new clutch springs were causing the clutch not to engage, put stock ones back on and now IÔÇÖm back to step 1 with kickstart getting stuck and electric start making weird noises. I degreased and cleaned casings and stuff (but donÔÇÖt think that would cause an issue) and have used white lithium grease on some of the moving parts like the kickstart. Video below. Usually goes on longer and makes a sound as if a fork is falling down a staircase.
https://youtu.be/tw4JuDX-BXU

Starter pinion after trying to start
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Starter Pinion Noise / Kickstart Sticks wonÔÇÖt run!

Post by Meatball »

Put the STOCK variator boss back on. Its the round metal cylinder in the center of the variator. The boss that came with your new variator is too long...
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
M1ZZHEAD
Noob
Noob

Post by M1ZZHEAD »

Meatball wrote:Put the STOCK variator boss back on. Its the round metal cylinder in the center of the variator. The boss that came with your new variator is too long...
Thank you! I knew it had to be something small I was looking over. Never wouldÔÇÖve thought of that. Started right up no problems.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

No problem...if you have more questions, just ask.

I see youre in the Seattle area. Get your scoot dialed and lets ride. Always looking for more people to terrorize the city with.

Also, Ferry2ferry is in August...be ready
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.