Just need some general help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Electric Fuzzball
Noob
Noob

Just need some general help

Post by Electric Fuzzball »

Hello all,
I recently bought an '85 Spree for a cool $200 (with a title, WOO!). It was mostly complete aside from most of the body panels being in some state of removal, a lot of missing body nuts/bolts/clips, no air filter, and no forward blinkers.

Now, I've temporarily sorted the blinkers thanks to Wish, but that audio cable ain't sticking around. I plan on rewiring the entire moped and maybe doing some electrical upgrades/mods (i.e. better headlight, remote start, etc.). I need to know what gauge wires to get to redo the indicators.

Other than that I need most of the body bolts. If there's a pack that Honda sells like the pack I bought for my Yamaha Blaster, I'd love to know.

Thank you.
I am not.
Electric Fuzzball
Noob
Noob

Re: Just need some general help

Would the #68 jet from this link be the appropriate one to help performance?

https://www.ebay.com/i/371889282548?chn=ps&dispItem=1
I am not.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Welcome... :hi:
You'll not find any pre-bagged fastener kit...but all OEM parts schematics
list the connectors you seek giving you a place to start.
Spree is a fine Honda scooter, but the first thing you should know,...
upgrading and performance modifications do NOT have any place in the Spree world.
It is a very un-yielding endeavor that has been proven many times over.
I am NOT qualified to share the particulars with you, but other members here
have their own opinions to share with you.
I believe the Spree is best left as Honda built it...and so much easier to keep in fine tune if
you want to ride it much.

RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Electric Fuzzball
Noob
Noob

I really only expect a little quality of life performance type upgrades, such as better acceleration and an improved top end. I only need it to keep up with late night and early morning traffic on my average daily commute, I'm going to pick up another Spree or hopefully a Dio for fun modding.
I am not.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Electric Fuzzball wrote: better acceleration and an improved top end. I only need it to keep up with late night and early morning traffic on my average daily commute.
These are the two aspects of performance modification that are most difficult to improve on Spree.
Can be done, but most people find that they wished they had never started spending money on a Spree.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

It can be done, but I do not recommend doing it. If you want to know how, just read the guide in my signature. Things you should know first... A Spree runs best when it is stock, modifying it to squeeze more out of it, is for the most part, a waste of money... ALOT of money. For the same money it will cost you to get your bikes to perform like mine do, you could do an engine swap and the bike would be way better in acceleration and top speed. Also... I CHEATED. In addition to throwing money at it, I had an advantage most people do not have. A professional support team, professional port work, a dyno, and many other resources and technicians.. Had I not built the scooters for a specific purpose and for bike shows, I would not have modified the stock engine, I would have swapped them. I am with motormike 100% here.. Put a new filter and plug in it, keep it clean, it will run forever. Don't try modifying it with jet changes, you'll gain almost nothing. Read the guide in my signature and again, before you read it, I can't emphasize enough on doing steps in order. Skipping over the steps will do nothing for you but give you a headache. Hope that helps.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

motormike wrote:most people find that they wished they had never started spending money on a Spree.
Swap in a DIO!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Electric Fuzzball
Noob
Noob

Meatball wrote:
motormike wrote:most people find that they wished they had never started spending money on a Spree.
Swap in a DIO!
Judging by your avatar, I guess my question is one in a long chain of disappointing occurrences.
I am not.
Electric Fuzzball
Noob
Noob

Well, let's divert this back to my main question, what gauge wire should I look for to rewire the indicators, and should I go through the trouble of learning how to solder?
I am not.
ss800
BMX
BMX

Post by ss800 »

motormike wrote:Welcome... :hi:
I believe the Spree is best left as Honda built it...and so much easier to keep in fine tune if
you want to ride it much.
I as well, have a tendency to leave well enough alone. My Honda and Ducati's, all 3 remain basically engine "mod" free, save for carb jetting on the older Duc 900. The respective factory configurations resulted in fantastic running and reliability in each.
I'd never mess with airbox, timing, injection, mapping, etc. What for? For me to "improve" (?) on the factory engineered configurations? No way.

However, in regard to maintenance procedures, I leave no stone unturned, no matter the complexity...

For those who chose to mod away? ....have at it.
**Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson**

'95 Ducati 900SS/SP
'98 Honda VFR800
'07 Ducati SS800

www.customcarbservices.com
Electric Fuzzball
Noob
Noob

Forget the engine mods, lol. I need to make it road worthy before I even try anything.
Not to be rude or anything, I just don't want this to divert from my intent of this thread.
I am not.
Electric Fuzzball
Noob
Noob

Electric Fuzzball wrote:Well, let's divert this back to my main question, what gauge wire should I look for to rewire the indicators, and should I go through the trouble of learning how to solder?
:b2t: I don't mean to be rude.
I am not.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Not sure on gauge. Just match the gauge of rear lights. Soldering is nice but future removal requires cutting/re-soldering every time. Use bullet butt connectors. Be sure to to get the correct size for the chosen wire gauge. Too many times Ive seen connectors used intended for much larger wire gauge.
Attachments
EC26E7D9-B07F-4953-872B-00A0FC67EDAA.jpeg
EC26E7D9-B07F-4953-872B-00A0FC67EDAA.jpeg (70.51 KiB) Viewed 7004 times
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Electric Fuzzball
Noob
Noob

Meatball wrote:Not sure on gauge. Just match the gauge of rear lights. Soldering is nice but future removal requires cutting/re-soldering every time. Use bullet butt connectors. Be sure to to get the correct size for the chosen wire gauge. Too many times Ive seen connectors used intended for much larger wire gauge.
Thank you, I'll have to take a trip to my local hardware store and do some research. I was thinking of buying a parts spree for the random bits I am missing, but seeing how much these get changed around and "modded", that's not going to be very practical.
I am not.