Carburetor Cleaning suprise

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SamDavy
BMX
BMX

Carburetor Cleaning suprise

Post by SamDavy »

Is this post in the middle (which I assume is something to do with the throttle) supposed to look like this? This carb is from a spree with manual choke.
Attachments
IMG_20180331_132108.jpg
IMG_20180331_132108.jpg (91.76 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
I own a Honda Eve and a Honda Nifty Fifty.
The Eve has a wiring harness, coils, throttle control and a starter motor from a nifty, since relying on kickstart isn't fun.
bonesv

Re: Carburator Cleaning suprise

Post by bonesv »

Uh-oh! That don't look right. The spree does not have a manual choke either. Get some pics of the out-facing side of it for us. Something is broken off in there. There should be a main jet screwed into that hole that's plugged up.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
SamDavy
BMX
BMX

Post by SamDavy »

It's always run fine, I should correct myself actually it's not a spree, it's an eve. Extremely similar to the spree. It does have a manual choke!
Thanks for the assistance though.
IMG_20180331_141048.jpg
IMG_20180331_141048.jpg (158.88 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
IMG_20180331_141034.jpg
IMG_20180331_141034.jpg (255.07 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
IMG_20180331_141056.jpg
IMG_20180331_141056.jpg (85.64 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
The Eve has a wiring harness, coils, throttle control and a starter motor from a nifty, since relying on kickstart isn't fun.
SamDavy
BMX
BMX

Post by SamDavy »

The peice of crap that was in the hole looks like a bit of solder. Might I add there are no threads up there, to me it looks like the eve had a factory set jet carb or somthing. Still no idea how that solder got in there though
SamDavy
BMX
BMX

Post by SamDavy »

Actually, the piece of crap appears to be a ball of tinfoil, Micheal rodent spotted!
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

SamDavy wrote:Actually, the piece of crap appears to be a ball of tinfoil, Micheal rodent spotted!
Well, the pic of the carb was fuzzy. I wanted to see if it was in fact a Keihin oem carburetor. As far as it being a honda eve, I have no knowledge of them. So you say it ran just fine? Ball of tin foil huh? I found some pics on the web......
eve copy1.jpg
eve copy1.jpg (29.37 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
Eve 3.jpg
Eve 3.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
Eve 5.jpg
Eve 5.jpg (58.37 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
SamDavy
BMX
BMX

Post by SamDavy »

Welp I've cleaned the float bowl which was filthy, I'm just going to see if it works. I probably should have counted the turns on the adjustment screws.
SamDavy
BMX
BMX

Post by SamDavy »

bonesv wrote:
SamDavy wrote:Actually, the piece of crap appears to be a ball of tinfoil, Micheal rodent spotted!
Well, the pic of the carb was fuzzy. I wanted to see if it was in fact a Keihin oem carburetor. As far as it being a honda eve, I have no knowledge of them. So you say it ran just fine? Ball of tin foil huh? I found some pics on the web......
eve copy1.jpg
Eve 3.jpg
Eve 5.jpg
I'll use imgur from now on as the image filesize limit is annoying.
As far as I can tell it's a keihin carb. It looks like the first image you sent before. What site is that Image from?
https://imgur.com/SSRi7QP
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Carburetor Cleaning suprise

Post by noiseguy »

I'm betting that the carb either doesn't have a main jet, or the main jet's the wrong size (too big) and the aluminum foil was meant to restrict gasoline into the carb. Have not seen this done b/f and if I'm correct, it's kind of a brilliant way to repair this issue quickly with stuff on hand...

Take a picture of what's under the foil after you remove it, but know that it probably won't run again once you do it until you cure the underlying issue. If main jet is missing you're likely missing emulsion tube as well.

Manual enrichment circuits on Honda 50cc Keihin PA carbs were a thing in some markets. These can be purchased aftermarket in US to replace electric bystarter, but bc of Spree carb design they aren't accessible to operator.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
SamDavy
BMX
BMX

Re: Carburetor Cleaning suprise

Post by SamDavy »

noiseguy wrote:I'm betting that the carb either doesn't have a main jet, or the main jet's the wrong size (too big) and the aluminum foil was meant to restrict gasoline into the carb. Have not seen this done b/f and if I'm correct, it's kind of a brilliant way to repair this issue quickly with stuff on hand...

Take a picture of what's under the foil after you remove it, but know that it probably won't run again once you do it until you cure the underlying issue. If main jet is missing you're likely missing emulsion tube as well.

Manual enrichment circuits on Honda 50cc Keihin PA carbs were a thing in some markets. These can be purchased aftermarket in US to replace electric bystarter, but bc of Spree carb design they aren't accessible to operator.
I'll get a picture. It just looks to me like the carb with manual choke also has a factory set main jet. When held up to light the hole looks about the right size. I've just bought 4 nifty fifty parts bikes so I've got carb options now