2 throttle cables? Noob

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

unclejemima
BMX
BMX

2 throttle cables? Noob

Post by unclejemima »

Ok...so itÔÇÖs not a spree but the closest forum I can find that is similar motor to my Honda motocompo

Still havenÔÇÖt fired the thing up yet. My throttle cable is pretty stiff and does not go back when I twist the throttle unless I manually twist it back...so I went and traced the throttle cable. It looks about 1/2 way down the line it goes to a double connector where one end goes to the top of the carb (like norrmal) and then one cable goes to what IÔÇÖm assuming is the oil injection?

Circled in red is the choke.

Is there any trick to adjusting these the throttle snaps back when I twist it?

Thanks!
Attachments
62E311D2-1DE3-4CA9-999E-22054F6FC311.jpeg
62E311D2-1DE3-4CA9-999E-22054F6FC311.jpeg (216.05 KiB) Viewed 7353 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 2 throttle cables? Noob

Post by Meatball »

A visual inspection should be done first. Looking for any obvious signs of distress like sharp bends in the cable routing or kinks, breaks, etc...if all looks good, keep reading.

The only things forcing the cable back to zero is the spring on the oil pump and the spring on the carb slide (under carb cap). Its typical that cables get sticky over time and require lubrication. There are a few different methods to achieve this (youtube) and even some ingenious devices available to make the task even easier. All methods require complete removal of the cable off the bike.

Once cable is removed from bike, inspect cable closely for damage, kinks, etc..since this would also result in the condition you describe. Slide the cable to and fro with your fingers, it should slide witjin itÔÇÖs jacket easily. Also check that the oil pump return spring is moving freely with good resistance. Also inspect the carb slide and spring has no binding.

Once youve gotten to this point, the sticky cable gremlin would have revealed itself.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

During re-installation of your cable, be sure to refer to your service manual for calibrating the oil pump. This is typically done by aligning the marking tabs on the pump while the throttle is twisted wide open. This is to ensure the pump is providing the correct amount of oil during all throttle positions.
unclejemima
BMX
BMX

Post by unclejemima »

I plan on running premixed fuel only as the bike will be used very little. This way I only have to drain the fuel tank when storing it....and I donÔÇÖt have to worry about oil injection calibration.
Could I just disconnect the oil injection cable?
IÔÇÖd imagine I have to also disconnect the power to the oil injection pump as it would probably cause damage if running dry?
Thanks for the info guys :)
motormike

Post by motormike »

unclejemima wrote:I plan on running premixed fuel only as the bike will be used very little. Totally an unwarranted action.
This way I only have to drain the fuel tank when storing it Oil in the tank has a very, very long viability. You would never need to drain the oil tank.
....and I donÔÇÖt have to worry about oil injection calibration.Honda made it so well, you never have to worry about calibration...and your MotoCompo is same as new, right?
Could I just disconnect the oil injection cable? Not really...the pump will still be turning as long as it is still in place. Damage likely.
IÔÇÖd imagine I have to also disconnect the power to the oil injection pump as it would probably cause damage if running dry?There is NO POWER involved with the running of the oil pump-it is mechanically driven by gears. When dis-connected, the pump should be removed and a block-off plate installed.
Thanks for the info guys :)
Leave the pump alone, run 93 octane ethanol or non-ethanol if available, drain the fuel tank and carburetor bowl for extended storage. I am NOT an authority on MotoCompo, nor do I pretend to know every answer. I DO KNOW that more bikes are damaged by noobs trying to change things than by running them as Honda intended. I am sorry to be blunt, I mean only the very best for your future riding pleasure.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Calibrating the pump is simple. When the throttle is pulled full open, just align the pointer on the pump (red circle) with the other mark (green circle). There should be a mark, notch, dash somewhere in the green circle area...just have to look for it....done.
Attachments
43EA76B6-B1FE-472B-A975-562A18048D54.jpeg
43EA76B6-B1FE-472B-A975-562A18048D54.jpeg (102.78 KiB) Viewed 7323 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Easy
Attachments
C2548DD6-0C98-4168-81EC-6ACADC7F5937.jpeg
C2548DD6-0C98-4168-81EC-6ACADC7F5937.jpeg (150.64 KiB) Viewed 7323 times
unclejemima
BMX
BMX

Post by unclejemima »

Hey thanks guys. I will give that a go.

I just figured by running premixed fuel that comes factory premixed 50:1, I canÔÇÖt damage anything.

DonÔÇÖt think for the moment the motocompo is special. They produced boat loads of them in japan, and it was built to be cheap and light.

IÔÇÖll let u guys know how I make out :). Thank you again for the replies!!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Running pre-mix with oil pump is just going to foul plugs. There's a whole process to removing an oil pump that's just slightly more complex than making sure your oil pump works... if you just disconnect the oil pump you're going to have issues later.

The oil does not go bad like gas does; no need to drain it for storage. You do need to make sure you use a 2 stroke injector oil... not the pre-mix crap for chainsaws and such. If you have dumped pre-mix oil in, dump it all out and purge the lines before you run the bike.

If you indeed have a Motocompo... those are rare bikes and somewhat valuable. Where are you located?

Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
unclejemima
BMX
BMX

Post by unclejemima »

Yes mine is red like that one. My brother has a white one.

IÔÇÖm located in Canada. I purchased mine from New Zealand and it was shipped via ups like a regular package. I always thought that was funny that itÔÇÖs so small it was shipped via post ;)

Ok. How do I prime the oil pump...and how often do I need to prime it? If it sits for a long time does the oil pump need to be primed again?

Thank you for your help!!!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Drain mystery oil from tank and lines. Refill tank with known 2-stroke injector oil, bleed feed line to pump, and pump to manifold... the Spree or SA50 manuals describes all this in detail. Note that oil tank has a screen that loads up with a grease-like product over the years... now is the time to clean this screen.

Put 50:1 premix in bike (just a pint or so). Get the bike started and warmed up. Disconnect the oil pump at manifold and block connection at manifold. You should see about 1 drop every 5 seconds or so from pump; more if you twist the "throttle" on the pump. As long as you see oil flowing, you're good... typically dead pumps are 100% dead and flow nothing.

Either dump and re-fill gas tank or just top off with fresh gas; it will run through the extra oil over time.

No need to do this annually. As long as pumps working you're in good shape.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
unclejemima
BMX
BMX

Post by unclejemima »

Motocompo was under a tarp for a few months in the garage...now back at ÔÇÿer

Got the sticking throttle fixed. I had the handlebars powder coated. The coating was thicker than stock bars so I sanded them down and where the throttle rides and problem solved!

Back to oil pump...there is 2 markings. Circled yellow and green in the photo below. The yellow marking is what can be achieved with full throttle and is furthest the oil pump lever can go. In the photo IÔÇÖve got the throttle wide open and the needle on the oil pump indicator can reach that.

Noticing on my brothers motocompo, when he got his, it was set so that wide open throttle the oil pump indicator only goes to the line circled in green...but there is nothing saying it is set right either.

Question is...what line is the correct one???
Attachments
00362DE1-B8E5-49EF-ADB5-918C8A526538.jpeg
00362DE1-B8E5-49EF-ADB5-918C8A526538.jpeg (201.2 KiB) Viewed 7057 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

If I had to guess, Id say the yellow circled line is it. Quite possibly there are two dashes for setting oil pump for various moto models, carbs, versions of the bike. To know which one for SURE, youd need to consult the service manual and find the setting for your peticular model/year/engine. Maybe your brothers bike is correct with green circle and yours is correct with yellow? Maybe both need green or yellow? Maybe the manual will say anywhere inbetween the two marks are acceptable?....too bad the service manual isnt easily found in pdf without paying.
unclejemima
BMX
BMX

Post by unclejemima »

Yes I hunted for a manual last night and found no pdfÔÇÖs. Did you find a PDF manual that I could buy?? I would be up for a link...I could only find paper copies from Europe or Australia that will take 2 weeks to arrive.

IÔÇÖm thinking yellow is correct as the line actually is close to the needle when it passes. The yellow circled line is very far away from the point and I assume it just a casting mark or for some other reason.

Might be another few weeks if I have to wait to purchase a manual.

If anyone has any input please chime in :)
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

They want so much money for one of those coveted manuals its not worth it. Just to look at it once or twice, no thanks. Id go with your gut and take a stab.

On the Elite, when the oil pump is adjusted to its marks at full open, I can tell you that when the throttle is fully closed the oil pump arm doesnt close fully. At idle the cable holds the pump arm cracked just a tiny bit. Im assuming this is to allow a small dash of oil for idle. So going by that, does the pump arm slam shut when adjusted to green mark? Do you notice the pump arm ÔÇ£half openÔÇØ when on the yellow?

Id look where the arm sits at closed throttle when set to each mark. The one that makes the arm just barely open at idle is (im guessing) probably it.

Edit: I have no sources for a Motocompo manual.