1997 Honda Elite SA50 idles low and then not at all

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Lobstercasey
Noob
Noob

1997 Honda Elite SA50 idles low and then not at all

Post by Lobstercasey »

Hey all! IÔÇÖm new to the board but learning more and more about my Elite every day, very siked. HOWEVER, I recently got t-boned by a car and while IÔÇÖm very lucky that IÔÇÖm ok and my Elite still runs, itÔÇÖs having a tough time with this:

After I run it/ride it for about 15 minutes, the top speed as IÔÇÖm riding wonÔÇÖt go past about 27 (it used to top out at about 31 or 32, itÔÇÖs derestricted) and then the speed with which it accelerates takes longer and gradually it will stop idling when IÔÇÖm at stop signs and lights and just die. ItÔÇÖs very hard to get it started again when it dies unless I let it sit for a minute, or I can just continue to rev it while IÔÇÖm stopped so it wonÔÇÖt die but either way itÔÇÖs a pain. IÔÇÖve done a ton of research but thought itÔÇÖd be a good idea to open it up to a bunch of the experts on this board! Thanks in advance for your help.
bonesv

Re: 1997 Honda Elite SA50 idles low and then not at all

Post by bonesv »

Obviously, the wreck you were in has changed something. Maybe the exhaust has developed a leak? Possibly the carburetor has become plugged up somewhere? A lot of times it's just a spark plug that's causing poor performance. It could be a combination of many things, or it can just be a small hole in a vacuum line :o You will have to search for any damage and look closely around those areas to see if you can find the trouble. Happy to hear you were not injured! Good luck and welcome to hondaspree . net!!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861