New to spree's need diagnostic help - no start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Scottdh20
Noob
Noob

New to spree's need diagnostic help - no start

Post by Scottdh20 »

So i bought a "customized" spree for lack of a better term...maybr haggardis a better adjective. Anyway im having a no start issue. I have googled and read through countless posts trying to figure this out. Im prett mechanically inclined and have been building and modifying cars for the past 15+ years.

Onto the issue. Bought the bike wouldnt start. Figured out it was missing some vital components. Craigslist hooked me up with a local guy with the needed parts. And aftermarket cdi and a regulator i had detemined was faulty beause as soon as i'd pkug it in the fuse would blow. I install the two parts and a new battery and she fires right up. Drive it around my yard for about 2 min as it has no intake. I make a temporary intake with a sobi bottle with numerous holes drilled in it and then cover it with a bew sock. Several test rips get the right amount of holes to run right and idle well. And i park it for the night.

The next day....no start. I have been over wiring, checked spark, checked for fuel, new plug, compression check, cleaned the carb, checked the crank seal visualy, charged up the battery, tried manually adding fuel... im am stumpped. Just turns over and over and never catchs. Any idea? Could a bad cdi cause it? Although the spark plug is firing so i dont tink thats it. About to give up
ansneds
Spree
Spree

Re: New to spree's need diagnostic help - no start

Post by ansneds »

You probably need the stock airbox assembly and a good filter. I've never been able to get a spree to run without one.
Currently own:
->1995 Honda Elite 50 (Derestricted)
Have previously owned:
->Multiple 94-01 Elite 50s
->1985 and 1986 Honda Sprees
->1985 Honda Aero 50
Scottdh20
Noob
Noob

Post by Scottdh20 »

It will run, it just wont run well and i wouldnt suggest driving without an airbox. I got the bike running fairly good with just the bottle trick. Its an old ghetto trick but works. Wasnt a permenant solution but just want to get this thing running before i invest money into it.

I bought this simply as a inexpensive pit bike at the race track. I bought it for $50 in unknown condision. I have about 50 more into new battery, oil tank, cdi and regulator and a few other odds and ends. I have no problem spending 50-75 for a srock fender/airbox assembly once i figure out if its worth it.

Talking to a buddy suggested i may have spark but a weak spark and suggested a new coil. I ordered a coil/cdi combo on amazon for $15 so we'll see if that hopefully helps. The spark wasnt as pronounced as im used to with car engines but i figured it being a small engine maybe they werent as strong. Idk fingers crossed. Im new to mopeds and small engines so any advice is welcomed and i have read hundreds of comments on this site so far teying to learn
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Don't run the bike like that, even for tuning. You need to run down a stock airbox and filter. You'll just end up burning up the piston that way.

There's no need to throw additional parts at the bike aside from what's stock... most of the aftermarket chinese (cheap) stuff is far worse than the original, and can create new issues.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products