1986 honda spree bogs down when throtled

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

khbunch
Noob
Noob

1986 honda spree bogs down when throtled

Post by khbunch »

Hi everyone. So I cant figure this out. I can get my 1986 spree to start and idle but if I let it idle and then try to give it some gas with the throtle it bogs down and dies. If I give it some throtle while starting and keep it reving i can take off and do 35mph no problem but if i stop and try to acelerate again it bogs down and dies. Ive cleaned the carb twice. The second time taking the time to clean out the emerser valve and pilot jet well. Ive checked the air filter and its in perfect condition. I did notice my carb is starting to leak gas from the top overflow darin on the bowl after my first carb cleaning and still does so after my second cleaning where I removed float and needle and cleaned. Thinking this might be a float needle issue combined with a petcock issue as well but im stumped on the bogging down. Since I can rev it up while starting and get results but the minute I let it idle and then try to acellerate it dies makes me believe the carb is getting gas and air....any help is appreciated. Im stumped but know its probably something small im missing.
SamDavy
BMX
BMX

Re: 1986 honda spree bogs down when throtled

Post by SamDavy »

make sure the exhaust port on the barrel isnt clogged with carbon, sorry thats all the help i can offer.
I own a Honda Eve and a Honda Nifty Fifty.
The Eve has a wiring harness, coils, throttle control and a starter motor from a nifty, since relying on kickstart isn't fun.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Unless youve installed a bbk or done a gear mod, your Spree wont give you 35mph. If youre seeing those speeds on a stock motor then youre lean. Could be from an air leak, maladjusted carb settings, etc...

A lean condition would give you a rough idle and poor throttle response but itÔÇÖll revv to the moon and absolutely rip at full throttle....right before it grenades.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
khbunch
Noob
Noob

Post by khbunch »

I should of mentioned 35 mph down hill :).

The more I think about it maybe its just flooding. I noticed my petcock valve is not working correctly. It is letting gas to the carb even when its not under vacuum. Going to take that apart and clean it and try to get it functioning properly and also polish my float needle seat and make sure that is working correctly to see if that resolves my issue. I will report back what I find. Thanks.
kingdele
BMX
BMX

Post by kingdele »

I donÔÇÖt know if your carburetor has a fuel air mixture screw because that would be characteristic of a pinned down screw but if not idk.
khbunch
Noob
Noob

Post by khbunch »

Got the new petcock on and cleaned out the carb again and shes running much better. I still get a little bog down from idle to about 1/4 throttle. I suspect my air fuel screw just needs some fine tune adjusting.