ÔÇÿ87 Spree died and wonÔÇÖt start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jawsrocket
Noob
Noob

ÔÇÿ87 Spree died and wonÔÇÖt start

Post by jawsrocket »

Hello everybody! This is my first post and I am a new owner of an ÔÇÿ87 Spree NQ50! I was recently given this scooter by my boss because he didnÔÇÖt have any use for it. When I picked it up I had to replace the kickstarter assembly (old gears were worn and a few teeth were missing). After replacing I got it running but would die after giving it any more than half throttle... so I took apart the carb, checked the jets and fuel lines, and put it back together, tuned the carb, and changed the oil. After that everything ran great! For two weeks...

Long story short, I was riding home and I noticed it was maxing out at ~25mph rather than 35 mph. After riding for a bit the spree started making some unusual noises (small popping, almost like a mini back-fire or small exhaust leak) and then sputtered and died on the side of the road. When I pulled over smoke started rising from the chassy and when I tried using the kickstarter it was all jammed up and wouldnÔÇÖt even budge. I ended up walking it home and checked it again a few days later to find the kickstarter would turn the cylinder over but the spree would not start.

Sorry for the novel! I havenÔÇÖt had time to take the kickstart off but does anyone have any theories?? IÔÇÖm very new to scooters so this is a new realm to me but I have plenty of experience with classic cars.

Thank you for the help,
Jack
motormike

Re: ÔÇÿ87 Spree died and wonÔÇÖt start

Post by motormike »

Sounds like a classic case of "soft seize".
Overheated cylinder and piston due to a lean condition.
Once cold, piston releases from cylinder, but likely there is damage inside.
Pull the head. take a look.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Mike speaks the truth!

Soft Seize checklist:
Made funny noise prior-check
Motor quit suddenly-check
Kickstart locked up while still hot-check
Kickstart freed up when cooled down-check
Now wont start-uh oh!
You checked all the boxes!

The fact that it wont start is most concerning. While a soft seize is not necessarily terminal, it certainly CAN be. I soft seized a bore 3 times and it still ran great, I got lucky until the 4th time when the cylinder walls were so trashed it wouldnt hold compression. Lesson learned: dont try jetting without a temp gauge. Inexperience was also a contributing factor.

I suggest starting with a compression test. Should be in the 115 area give or take. If its 100 or below you need a new top end. Theres still the issue of WHY this happened. Solve that mystery before you ride again or it will keep seizing until it grenades. Return with results!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Yes, compression test is the better first step... :thumbwink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"