1984 Honda Nifty 50 (NQ50) - What motor can I replace with

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

rayraynz
Noob
Noob

1984 Honda Nifty 50 (NQ50) - What motor can I replace with

Post by rayraynz »

Hi,

I have a 1984 Honda Nifty 50 which I am using as a daily driver.

It is very slow and now having issues with the starter. Will occasionally make a screaming high pitch noise and not engage when attempting to start, therefor not start. And it doesnt have a kick starter. If I could source one I would fit one.

I am wanting to know if there are any other motors that can be straight swapped onto the Nifty 50 frame I have without any modification?

With the intention of doing this so I have a engine that can maintain 50-60km and keep up with traffic etc.

This is my other post which shows the scooter and explains its short life with me.

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=34889

Thanks for your time and I look forward to any advise given
SamDavy
BMX
BMX

Re: 1984 Honda Nifty 50 (NQ50) - What motor can I replace wi

Post by SamDavy »

Try cleaning the exhaust port on the cylinder of the engine, I'm not really sure how to explain to do that but you could try wikispreedia. As for the starter, mine had the same issue. What I did was, remove the clutch cover, taking note of which screws go where, then remove the large gear on the crankshaft. you may have to find somebody with a rattle gun to do this. Once that's out, take out the smaller gear (benidix)? Clean it really well with degreaser. You could put white lithium grease on it but the stuff I had was way too thin so it got on the belt. Once it moves freely put it all back together. To get the drive face gear back on you'll have to pull the belt tight on the clutch. It should start up fine after that. Mine did anyway. If I where you I'd keep the nifty stock, but that's just my preference. People have sold really cool bbk modified ones on trademe which are really cool and one I saw went for $1400NZD if I remember correctly. Best of luck.
I own a Honda Eve and a Honda Nifty Fifty.
The Eve has a wiring harness, coils, throttle control and a starter motor from a nifty, since relying on kickstart isn't fun.
motormike

Post by motormike »

rayraynz wrote:Hi,

I have a 1984 Honda Nifty 50 which I am using as a daily driver. It's probably time to buy a faster bike if you want to go faster.

I am wanting to know if there are any other motors that can be straight swapped onto the Nifty 50 frame I have without any modification? Simply, no. Already you are achieving the bike's full potential with the stock engine.
Any swap will require mods and considerable effort. Believe if it were me, i'd set this beauty back, and concentrate on upgrading by making a new purchase.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I agree, that bike is in too good of a condition and too rare to be doing engine swaps on. You absolutely could swap in an AF16 or a variated AF05E, but please don't!! Swapping engines calls for a bit of cutting and welding. While this isn't much of a big deal to do to a more common Spree, doing it to a sweet little Nifty 50 like yours would be a travesty. I say if you want more speed, or perhaps wanna play around with building engines, buy a cheap Chinese scoot and put a BBK/A9 cam, better carb, CVT overhaul, etc. I so wanna offer you a good price for that bike, too many obstacles in the way for me at the moment. Exporting, space, total funds vested, other projects, etc..