'86 Spree Noisy Clutch?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ddn
BMX
BMX

'86 Spree Noisy Clutch?

Post by ddn »

My newly restored '86 Spree is running great. Only thing is, when I let off the throttle at any speed above about 10-12mph, there's a noisy rattle that sounds like I have rocks in my exhaust (I don't - muffler was cut in half, cleaned, and re-welded.) It sounds to me like it's coming from the clutch, which is pretty much the only part I didn't replace or rebuild as it looked like it was in good shape. The noise goes away as soon as I drop below about 10-12 mph OR open the throttle. It's present at any speed above that, but only when decelerating.

Could the clutch make that racket?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: '86 Spree Noisy Clutch?

Post by Meatball »

A full tear-down and meticulous inspection is where Id start. Begin with easy stuff first. Start with eliminating the possibility of it being the exhaust you cut/welded. Maybe a loose internal piece. Then go with belt/pulley/clutch area. With front pulley removed, check crank for any movement/slop/play to indicate a bad bearing. Remove fan cover, fan, flywheel and stator to inspect other crank bearing and seal. Remove rear wheel to inspect drum brake assembly. Then maybe pull the rear gear cover to inspect for damaged gears or chipped teeth. Inspect all trans bearings while in there for slop or stickiness while spun. If nothing is amiss, keep digging. Remove cylinder for bore/ring/piston inspection and intake to check reeds. With all removed, give crank a manual spin test to see if it spins easy and grit-free.

If youve done all this and everything is great, take it in the woods and shoot it.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Look for signs of belt slap against the cover inside. Check belt width for out of spec. Replace if it is.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
ddn
BMX
BMX

Post by ddn »

Meatball wrote:A full tear-down and meticulous inspection is where Id start.
I rebuilt the whole scooter down to every last bolt and bearing. So I guess if it was something I was going to notice on inspection, I missed it.

ddn
BMX
BMX

Post by ddn »

Follow-up for anyone who might have something similar.

I missed the thrust washer on the driven shaft. There's quite a lot of play in that shaft without the washer, probably 5-6mm or more, so the driven shaft was machining the transmission case.

Luckily I caught it in plenty of time, cleaned it up, replaced the washer, and it's quiet as a mouse.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Thanks for that update and happy for your successful repair.
Rock-on................................................................... :coolcruise:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"