Oil for break-in?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

wwwyzzerdd
Noob
Noob

Oil for break-in?

Post by wwwyzzerdd »

Hi, new to the site. Lots of good info here. I recently bought an 86 Spree that wasn't running from someone who ruined the top end. Well I ordered a replacement top end kit and have it all together and ready to be broken in.

Now since I've put it together I've found out that I can't just run any 2 stroke oil. I can't find the Honda GN2 or any decent injector oil meant for this kind of thing locally. I'll have to order it unless someone knows of a good oil that they actually carry at the major parts stores. Anyway, my main concern is that my Spree is sitting under the carport put together ready to be broken in, and I'm afraid to let it sit for too long waiting on the right oil to come in. I found some 2 cycle TC-W3 (I know I'm gonna catch * for this) oil that says on the back that it can be used in small air cooled engines as well. I was wondering if I can just use it for break in so it doesn't sit for a week til the GN2 gets here?

Also another thing I know I'll catch * for is that I used regular 10w30 conventional motor oil to lube the cylinder when assembling, and am now questioning if I should pull it all apart and start over.

I know I'm a total noob to these, and probably should've done more research before assembling. And I appreciate any reply I get. Thanks.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Oil for break-in?

Post by Meatball »

Dont worry about the 10w30. It will just smoke like Tommy Chong when you first start it and will clear up when it burns off. The TC-W3 is fine until you get something with better film strength. Certainly order some quality oil or visit your local Motorsports shop. Expect to spend around $10/qt for good stuff. Which brand is best is a never-ending Ford/ChevyDodge arguement, depends who you ask. Its recommended you use a quality conventional 2-stroke oil for break-in, then switch to semi or full synthetic afterwards.

Keep in mind that NOT all oil is designed for oil injection systems. Some are premix only, some are both. Reseach before you buy.

Personally, I use Maxima Scooter Pro 2t. Its synthetic blend and good for both injection and premix. Everyone seems to run something different.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yep, it's up to you. I take the safe bet, and use Honda guaranteed Pro Honda GN2 injector oil. This is the only 2 stroke oil approved by Honda. I use it on 1 Spree with BBK with a deleted oil pump at 32:1, and I use it on the other Spree with BBK at 96:1 in the tank, and oil pump running. Endoscope shows no piston scorching (both bikes have been pushed to 11,000+ rpm), plug color looks like a Hershey┬«Ôäó bar.
wwwyzzerdd
Noob
Noob

Post by wwwyzzerdd »

Thanks for the replies. Haha, yeah I figured it would smoke pretty bad.

I found a little bit of Castrol injector/premix oil that I figured I would break it in with. I did also end up ordering the GN2 to run with, I've just seen too many posts about it so it seemed like the easiest choice. I really appreciate the replies.

I'm going to have to wait to break it in though, because I found that the choke was missing it's brass parts, and someone popped out the little ball on the side of the carb that blocks the passage going to the choke, and replaced it with a metal rod going all the way through into the choke hole, or whatever you wanna call it. I'll attach a picture of what I mean. *edit* I tried 2 different ways to include a picture, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Hopefully you can understand what I mean...

So I ordered a new choke, and I was wondering if I could just seal the hole where the brass ball goes with some 2 part epoxy? Maybe I should've created another thread for this..

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Your image wasn't showing up, so I fixed it. Here ya go bud.
lFgVCBr copy 33%.jpg
lFgVCBr copy 33%.jpg (126.25 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
wwwyzzerdd
Noob
Noob

Post by wwwyzzerdd »

Awesome. Thank you.