Spree bogs down

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

A10inthedark
Noob
Noob

Spree bogs down

Post by A10inthedark »

Many threads on this one and have tried everything......I can get my scoot up to 25 mph if I give it little throttle about 1/4 I'd say any more and it bogs down fast. Idles ok but I can turn the air mixture in all the way and it keeps running I've rebuilt carb with new seals and flipped the reed valve back and forth with no help. Like most it will accelerate fine when on stand. New plug good compression bad karma Thanks for any ideas Doug
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Spree bogs down

Post by eclark5483 »

Are you running a proper oiled filter?
A10inthedark
Noob
Noob

Post by A10inthedark »

Yes I have a new filter. I even doubled it in case because I donÔÇÖt have a cover for the air box.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Try using just 1 filter, and duct tape the lid portion off, poke 3 1/4" holes in the tape in the right rear corner (#2 pencil sized holes). You wanna get as close to the stock back pressure as possible. A Spree runs best with a proper lid and filter, doubling up won't do much for you. I suspect the missing back pressure is causing the bog down. Try it and report back. If that fixes it, I or probably several others, have a proper lid for it if you need it.
A10inthedark
Noob
Noob

Post by A10inthedark »

Thanks I'll try that I could cut a cardboard to match the filter with a couple holes in it. How can I get a new cover and how much are they Thanks
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Just scour Ebay or post a ÔÇ£wantedÔÇØ ad here. Your bike needs that cover to run right. However, you may have other issues but that cover is a rather vital piece to the system.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I have 1 or 2 of them I'll sell ya pretty cheap, but first lets get the running issue sorted out.
A10inthedark
Noob
Noob

Post by A10inthedark »

Like to buy a cover regardless as IÔÇÖll keep working till I get it right. Everything else works as required. IÔÇÖll tape it tomorrow. Thanks.
A10inthedark
Noob
Noob

Post by A10inthedark »

Ok I covered the filter with cardboard and put a couple holes like a cover would have and it ran better would accelerate to 20-25 mph then shut down with throttle movement. I can feather the gas to keep at a steady 25 mph but any more input bogs it down again. Air mixture screw tried at different settings but doesn't seem to help either clean or rich. Seems to me like it's starving for fuel but I'm not sure. Continue the saga
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Well that's progress at least. But anyway. I'll sell you an airbox cover for say... oh $10 and I'll do free shipping. Just PM me for my paypal email.
Jiturn
Noob
Noob

Post by Jiturn »

Awesome I will try and locate a lid one of my sprees came with a home made metal lid and the other without a lid. I can't find a lid anywhere but I cant go over 25 either.
'86 Spree
'04 Metropolitan