'85 Spree, first start in 20+ Years.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

aj2018
Noob
Noob

'85 Spree, first start in 20+ Years.

Post by aj2018 »

Good Day Folks !

I was given an 1985 Honda Spree last summer thats in prestine condition with 700kms (400mi) on it.
Today I decided to give it a go , emptied old gas from tank, put a fresh battery and spark plug.
Took the carb apart to clean/inspect. It was fairly clean, for a bike thats been sitting for over 20yrs.

I got it to start. No big problems, got it to idle, and even took a short little ride with it. (without airbox cover/filter)

As soon as you throw the air-box cover on, the bike bogs like crazy and chokes (with or without filter)
I'm no carb guy, but does that sound like a jet problem ?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: '85 Spree, first start in 20+ Years.

Post by eclark5483 »

Sounds like a deteriorated filter with 20+ year old oil in it that has resin built up and hardened in it. Here's the thing. Even if the bike looks to be in pristine condition, the foams and rubber and lubricants have all dried out from natural deterioration. My first recommendation before digging into the dwells of the engine and any problems with it, is to look in the manual, give it a 100% servicing of all parts it points to. Air filter, Oil filter, oil pump ring, belt, tranny fluid, regrease bendix, handlebar berrings, spark plug, I mean wow the list goes on and on and on. So many things that you don't HAVE TO do, but really SHOULD do to keep the bike performing just like 1985' all over again. The good news, is most any regular maintenance part for the bike should still be available from your local Honda dealer and many other fine outlets for a reasonable price. It's the "I NEED TO FIX THIS NOT IN THE SERVICE MANUAL" parts that are no longer available except in a used condition by a 3rd party seller. As for choking with or without filter, this might seem crazy, but a properly oiled filter helps it run well. Run without one, you still have problems. Also, tune your carb by what the manual says. A tach really helps.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Oh yeah.. PICS, or it never happened, and welcome!!
aj2018
Noob
Noob

Post by aj2018 »

Thanks for your input eclark !

The plan is definitely give it a throughout service , I want the engine to run well first haha.

You are right about the oil and filter, as the airbox did have a significant (20-30ml) of oil sitting at the bottom, and could squeeze the filter and oil comes out, I washed and dried it. Although that was done prior to initial engine start. The problem sits when I put snap the Airbox Cover in place, without the cover she runs well, cover on she chokes hard.

I'll grab a tach for sure ! Pics to come.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

What I would do with that carb, is tear it out of there, take it apart, then.. Get yourself a tiny crock pot, fill it with pine-sol and a few scoops of Oxy-Clean. Submerge the carb in that mix and let it cook overnight. After that, blow it out with some compressed air and then blow it out with some WD-40. Both your pilot and main should be clean as a whistle then.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Another thing to consider doing is BBQ that muffler. It probably has over 30 years worth of built up gunk on the bottom that can restrict the flow. Though with such low mileage, it probably ain't too bad. A nice burn off on a BBQ or with a torch will get all that gunk out of there. Repaint with VHT paint, and she'll look and perform as good as new.
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

There's a good chance that the crank bearings will have gummed up. If you've not already done so, drain & change the oil that's in the tank before running the engine again. May even be worth putting a small amount of straight 2 stroke oil into the crank case via the inlet manifold while you have the carb & reeds out. Then spin on the starter without the spark plug to spread it around. It may take a bit of effort to start it as there will be too much oil.
If you spin the engine with the plug out for a length of time, leave the plug in the cap and ground the plug on the casing or cylinder so that the spark energy does not back up in the coil.