Run away idle after carb cleaning

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

brenyar22
Noob
Noob

Run away idle after carb cleaning

Post by brenyar22 »

So I bought an ÔÇÿ86 Spree yesterday that was running decent, but it liked to die when it had to idle. So I decided to clean the carb, thinking the only issue was a clogged idle circuit or something. After putting it all back together, the thing will start up and slowly rev higher and higher until itÔÇÖs at full throttle. ItÔÇÖs not incorrect slide placement, I checked to make sure thatÔÇÖs was put in correctly. IÔÇÖm thinking itÔÇÖs maybe something to do with the bystarter (the o ring is gone on the bottom of it, but it was running without a high idle before I took it apart so I donÔÇÖt think thatÔÇÖs it), or itÔÇÖs an air leak maybe? The carb will spill gas out after it runs for a bit, so I thought the float could be stuck open too.
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Re: Run away idle after carb cleaning

Post by Drifter562 »

brenyar22 wrote:So I bought an ÔÇÿ86 Spree yesterday that was running decent, but it liked to die when it had to idle. So I decided to clean the carb, thinking the only issue was a clogged idle circuit or something. After putting it all back together, the thing will start up and slowly rev higher and higher until itÔÇÖs at full throttle. ItÔÇÖs not incorrect slide placement, I checked to make sure thatÔÇÖs was put in correctly. IÔÇÖm thinking itÔÇÖs maybe something to do with the bystarter (the o ring is gone on the bottom of it, but it was running without a high idle before I took it apart so I donÔÇÖt think thatÔÇÖs it), or itÔÇÖs an air leak maybe? The carb will spill gas out after it runs for a bit, so I thought the float could be stuck open too.
Sounds like a lot going on there,
How many miles on your scoot? and in your opinion, the condition of your scoot?

It's interesting you mentioned incorrect slide placement, may I ask why?

Do you have a new spark plug?

Does your throttle operate smoothly or does it feel hard to pull ?

Is your carburetor set to factory specs?
motormike

Post by motormike »

Yeah, sounds like you developed a vacuum leak during your carb-clean.
In addition to a stuck float, and/or damaged or stuck float needle.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
brenyar22
Noob
Noob

Post by brenyar22 »

Sounds like a lot going on there,
How many miles on your scoot? and in your opinion, the condition of your scoot?

It's interesting you mentioned incorrect slide placement, may I ask why?

Do you have a new spark plug?

Does your throttle operate smoothly or does it feel hard to pull ?

Is your carburetor set to factory specs?[/quote]

The thing is fairly beat up, thereÔÇÖs rtv sealant on the carb and manifold (didnÔÇÖt see that before I bought it), spark plug was fairly wet but it was making good spark. Throttle seems to turn and rerun fine, I thought incorrect slide placement because everyone says thatÔÇÖs the main cause of a high idle on these things.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The thing is fairly beat up, thereÔÇÖs rtv sealant on the carb and manifold (didnÔÇÖt see that before I bought it), spark plug was fairly wet but it was making good spark. Throttle seems to turn and rerun fine, I thought incorrect slide placement because everyone says thatÔÇÖs the main cause of a high idle on these things.
God. If there's RTV on the reed valve area I'd pull it all apart and get one of my gasket kits to address the missing gaskets or seals I expect you have. I developed it just to support this type of teardown: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Spree-NQ ... 2207616725
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
brenyar22
Noob
Noob

Post by brenyar22 »

I might pick up the gasket kit and replace them, just for good measure. I already ordered a new carb with a new bystarter, so that will hopefully help. We were able to get the high idle to go away after tightening the bolts around the intake and carb, but now the issue is that itÔÇÖll die when you give it throttle. Starts right up and runs for awhile, but the throttle kills it.