Help a newbie with a carb problem?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Double D
Noob
Noob

Help a newbie with a carb problem?

Post by Double D »

Hi all. I just picked up a 2001 Elite 50. It had been sitting for a number of years. Dead battery? Yep. I bought a new one, tried to fire it, nothing. I gave it a quick shot of ether (I know) just to see if it would fire and it did. OK. Took the carb apart, cleaned everything, blew out every orifice, put back together, still nothing. I replaced the fuel petcock. Now it will fire, but not stay running. It will run, sputter, die. If I hold my hand over the carb, sometimes that helps A LOT. It will start most of the time, idle sometimes, fire like heck sometimes. Could the auto bystarter be bad? Are the ones on ebay for 10 bucks worth a dang? I think they are like 60 bucks from Honda. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once I get this dang thing running properly, I'll post pics of it and all my other silly toys.

THANKS!!

DD
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Help a newbie with a carb problem?

Post by vintagegarage »

Make sure your carb float bowl is full of gasoline. There are three screws on the side of the carb. The lowest one is the drain screw. Open the drain screw and make sure gasoline runs out and onto the ground. If it doesn't, your float bowl is empty. If your float bowl is empty, fill it by using a pump oil can full of gasoline and a hose connected to the fuel inlet on the carb.

If the float bowl is full, and your fuel petcock is broken and not allowing fuel to refill the float bowl, the engine should run for about a minute on what is in the float bowl.

If your float bowl is full, my guess is that your idle tube is plugged. It is very rare to find a bad bystarter, and if it was bad, your symptoms would be different. Get a "High E" guitar string at a music shop and then use it to carefully clean out the idle tube in the carb.

I am assuming that your air filter is stock and is in place as is the airbox that surrounds the filter. Since you are covering the carb intake with your fingers, it sounds like your airbox is not in place. Don't do that.

Also, instead of using ether, use the pump oil can with gasoline and a bit of 2-stroke oil in it, and prime the carb by unscrewing the cap on top of the slide body (the throttle cable runs through this cap). Lift the cap about 1/8 of an inch and squirt a couple of pumps of gas/oil mixture under the cap and screw the cap back into place. There are holes in the bottom of the throttle slide that will allow the gasoline/oil mix to drain right into the intake tube of the engine. Then start the engine. If it runs well for about 3 seconds and then dies, and you are sure that your float bowl is full, it is very likely that the idle tube is blocked.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

vintagegarage wrote: I am assuming that your air filter is stock and is in place as is the airbox that surrounds the filter. Since you are covering the carb intake with your fingers, it sounds like your airbox is not in place. Don't do that.
Also, the filter needs to be oiled, wrung out and the cover installed for the correct back-pressure to run properly. Read up on your models' service manual. http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Double D
Noob
Noob

Post by Double D »

Thanks for the info! Going to try the wire in the idle tube. If I do give up and opt for a new carb, are any of the ones on ebay worth a lick?
THANKS!
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

no. Do not give up.. your stock carb will be better than any aftermarket carb
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

You should be careful to not lodge anything inside the pilot orifice. It's best to attempt cleaning with a cleaning solvent instead. To test if it's clear, use an aerosol can of carb cleaner that has the little spray tube on it to inject some spray thru pilot tube on the bowl side into the venturi area where you can visibly see the carb spray exiting the protruding tube. see diagram in the wiki. http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ture_Guide
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
motormike

Post by motormike »

vintagegarage wrote:no. Do not give up.. your stock carb will be better than any aftermarket carb
I tend to agree with this^^...however,
when the mounting flange became stripped of threads,
I bought an ebay carb ($59)for an Elite 80 that was
absolutely perfect upon installation. fwiw... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Double D
Noob
Noob

Post by Double D »

SUCCESS! I think the wire in the idle tube did the trick! This thing runs like a sewing machine. It's an 01 with only 1011 miles on it when I got it. It had no key, no title, and hadn't run in quite some time. I had a key made at the Honda dealer, bought a new vacuum petcock from Honda, a battery from Advance auto and a couple cans of carb cleaner. I had forgotten how much fun these things are. I've owned 3 Sprees in the past, the first when I was in high school back in the 80's.

Thanks for all your help fellas! I really appreciate you taking the time to help out a new guy to the forum.

DD
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Double D wrote: I really appreciate you taking the time to help out a new guy to the forum
Congrats on the success but with a name like that...was hoping you were a woman. :geekdance:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Double D wrote:Thanks for all your help fellas!
I really appreciate you taking the time to help out a new guy to the forum. DD
You are welcome sir. :thumbwink:
Glad to know another fine machine has been revived.
It's usually a chore to find a wire that will fit into the orifice of the pilot jet.
There is a cheap tool I own that is worth it's cost...CLICK HERE K & L Carb Jet Cleaner

Pro Tip: There is an orifice in the bottom of the float bowl that allows fuel to pass into the bystarter bowl.
Always check this for flow when cleaning carb.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
bradmeehan
Elite
Elite

Post by bradmeehan »

motormike wrote:
Double D wrote:Thanks for all your help fellas!
I really appreciate you taking the time to help out a new guy to the forum. DD
You are welcome sir. :thumbwink:
Glad to know another fine machine has been revived.
It's usually a chore to find a wire that will fit into the orifice of the pilot jet.
There is a cheap tool I own that is worth it's cost...CLICK HERE K & L Carb Jet Cleaner

Pro Tip: There is an orifice in the bottom of the float bowl that allows fuel to pass into the bystarter bowl.
Always check this for flow when cleaning carb.
+1. This little oversight has caused me many hours of frustration. Now, it's the first part I clean.
1986 Spree
1986 Spree (Big Bore)
1985 Aero 50
1985 Aero 80
1988 Elite 50 (SB50)

1985 "OrangeJuice" (Sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CYYlkRRqa8