2000 Honda elite 50 bogging out/ carb issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

billythekid7059
Noob
Noob

2000 Honda elite 50 bogging out/ carb issues

Post by billythekid7059 »

Hello everyone! Im working on a 2000 Honda elite 50 for a customer. when he brought it to me it would not start. it had been sitting for years. the first thing I did was clean the carburetor. I did a vacuum check on the petcock. everything good so far. I replaced all gas lines and vacuum lines. I tested the bystarter, everythings working as it should. I did some carburetor adjustments and finally got it running I can get it to go aprox 15MPH if I adjust it anymore it Boggs out at half throttle. I did a compression test and it only has 50Psi I put oil in the combustion chamber and re tested it. it shot up to 150Psi. the scooter has only 3,000 miles on it. it idles fine and it runs fine until I try to adjust the carb more. thanks in advance!
motormike

Re: 2000 Honda elite 50 bogging out/ carb issues

Post by motormike »

The result of compression test pointing toward worn rings.
Surprised it runs if the test was accurate.
One thing I might also check at this point is
the exhaust. MAYBE it has become clogged partially.
Common problem with bikes having sat idle for long period.
Good luck and please report your findings. :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
billythekid7059
Noob
Noob

Do you think the rings could be stuck? whats the best way to try and un stick them?
motormike

Post by motormike »

billythekid7059 wrote:it idles fine and it runs fine until I try to adjust the carb more. thanks in advance!
^^This statement tells me that your carburetor cleaning might have missed something.
Maybe the emulsifer tube still has some crusty blocking the holes. Seems likely.
Before going to the next step, I believe I would pull that carb apart again, and recheck everything.
Verify ALL passages open with a can of carb-cleaner spray.
Pay particular attention to the passage that contains the air-adjustment screw.
Let me stress the critical importance of proper airbox and filter in place and sealed up tight.
RideRed
motormike

Post by motormike »

billythekid7059 wrote:Do you think the rings could be stuck? Yes, it is possible-stuck to the piston, not the cylinder.whats the best way to try and un stick them? I really don't know short of pulling the cylinder off.
RideRed
billythekid7059
Noob
Noob

okay ill pull the car apart again, ill even put some wire through it. I have the proper airbox. ill make sure thats clean and right. thank you for replying.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Question of the day: if it runs to 15mph...and your compression tests netted 50psi and 150psi...what on Earth would lead one to believe the rings are ÔÇ£stuckÔÇØ??

Getting your compression in the 110-120 range is key here first...more like, figuring out why its NOT there now. First, check to see if your head bolts are properly tightened to around 11-12 ft lbs. if they are, pull the head ONLY and rotate the piston to BDC by hand to inspect the bore for gouges with the ÔÇ£fingernailÔÇØ test. If a scratch in the cylinder catches your fingernail, that would kill compression. If it looks ok then see if your head gasket is leaking and showing signs of seepage. Also check for good seal at the sparkplug connection since a perished crush washer can wreak havoc too.

If you are 100% sure that all of these areas are proper, your rings are worn and should be replaced...along with a bore hone on the cylinder. It may be cheaper/easier (at this point) to buy a new top end. There are quality replacements available (OEM is not available) so ask the board which one before you buy anything.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
billythekid7059
Noob
Noob

the compression test showed 50 Psi. after putting oil in the cylinder and repeating the test the gauge read 150 Psi. I believe the rings are stuck. the scooter has been sitting for years and probably has carbon build up. the scooter only has 3000 miles on it.

-Does anyone know what the stock valve adjustments should be on the carb?
motormike

Post by motormike »

CLICK ME...for the download of service manual.
RideRed
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

billythekid7059 wrote:the compression test showed 50 Psi. after putting oil in the cylinder and repeating the test the gauge read 150 Psi. I believe the rings are stuck.

Running 15mph would mean youre spinning the motor AT LEAST 3000 rpmÔÇÖs...being able TO DO a compression test would require the motor to be able to rotate?....therefore, your rings are not stuck

Adding a small amount of oil through the spark plug hole will wet the cylinder wall & rings and provide a temporary seal. If the wet test results in a higher reading than the dry test, the piston rings are worn. However, before this can be a definitive diagnosis my previous post suggests you inspect all other elements of the combustion chamber for possible failure.

billythekid7059 wrote: the scooter has been sitting for years and probably has carbon build up.
FYI, carbon builds up when its RUNNING...not SITTING.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.