Help! Having issues with my 85 Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

codylip
Noob
Noob

Help! Having issues with my 85 Spree

Post by codylip »

I just purchased an 85 Spree. It started up right away when I went to look at it and I drove it around a bit with no issues. Drove it to my buddies house the next day and got there no problem. Then went to start it up and wouldn't start. Couldn't get it to start for about a week, so I charged the battery and replaced the spark plug. Got it to start up after that and drove it around the block for a couple minutes. Couple days later drove it to my buddies house again, got it there fine, then went to leave and wouldn't start again.

When I try starting it, it sounds like it wants to turn over but just doesn't have enough juice. Battery seems fine and spark plug is good but I cannot get it to start still. Ive also noticed the few times I have driven it though that after a while it starts to run a little groggy and sputters out a bit. Has anyone had these issues before?? Does anybody have any ideas what it could be or tips to try??

Help a noob!
motormike

Re: Help! Having issues with my 85 Spree

Post by motormike »

Every indication points toward your petcock leaking down fuel while scooter is hot and flooding the cylinder.
Also the float needle is likely to be damaged and not completely shutting off the fuel.
Another possibility is the engine is burning too lean and causing a soft-sieze after a good ride to your buddy's house.
Could be the result of carburetor being dirty and partially clogged in the jets causing the lean burn... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
codylip
Noob
Noob

Post by codylip »

motormike wrote:Every indication points toward your petcock leaking down fuel while scooter is hot and flooding the cylinder.
Also the float needle is likely to be damaged and not completely shutting off the fuel.
Another possibility is the engine is burning too lean and causing a soft-sieze after a good ride to your buddy's house.
Could be the result of carburetor being dirty and partially clogged in the jets causing the lean burn... :urban:
Thanks for the info! I was planning on taking the carb off and giving it a good cleaning. Ill make sure to check on everything you said. Cant wait to get this beauty running smoothly.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

A good way to see if the petcock is leaking is to pull fuel line from the carb and hang it into jug. Once the fuel line has drained(there will be fuel in the line), dump the jug and let the fuel line hang in there overnight. Check in the morning to see if theres fuel in the jug.

Also, the float needle (and seat) should be looked at closely. If the rubber needle tip is misshapen or the seat is crusty then youre likely not getting a good seal. New float needles are readily available and inexpensive.

The carb should be cleaned with the help of the wiki walkthrough and when youre done, clean it again. Give the entire motor a good cleaning and check that all nuts/bolts are tight. Use EXTRA caution when tightening to two bolts that attach the intake to carb. They are threaded into the soft body of the carb and strip easily. Use fingertip strength on those...more like ÔÇ£snugÔÇØ and not a hair more. DONT strip those...trust me on this.

Also, those two intake-to-carb bolts are different lengths..if you use the longer one in the wrong spot the bolt will dig into the carb body at the bystarter and essentially destroy it.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
codylip
Noob
Noob

Post by codylip »

Meatball wrote:A good way to see if the petcock is leaking is to pull fuel line from the carb and hang it into jug. Once the fuel line has drained(there will be fuel in the line), dump the jug and let the fuel line hang in there overnight. Check in the morning to see if theres fuel in the jug.

Also, the float needle (and seat) should be looked at closely. If the rubber needle tip is misshapen or the seat is crusty then youre likely not getting a good seal. New float needles are readily available and inexpensive.

The carb should be cleaned with the help of the wiki walkthrough and when youre done, clean it again. Give the entire motor a good cleaning and check that all nuts/bolts are tight. Use EXTRA caution when tightening to two bolts that attach the intake to carb. They are threaded into the soft body of the carb and strip easily. Use fingertip strength on those...more like ÔÇ£snugÔÇØ and not a hair more. DONT strip those...trust me on this.

Also, those two intake-to-carb bolts are different lengths..if you use the longer one in the wrong spot the bolt will dig into the carb body at the bystarter and essentially destroy it.
Great. Thank you for this info. I will hopefully be getting it up and running this week!