New Ignition Switch

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dungan23
Noob
Noob

New Ignition Switch

Post by Dungan23 »

I have a 85' Honda spree NQ50, and when I bought it the previous owner had bypassed the ignition so to start it you just kickstart and it turns over, my question is what exactly do I need to replace to have the bike go back to needing a key, would i just need a new ignition switch, or are there other parts that need to be replaced? Thank you in advance for any info!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: New Ignition Switch

Post by Meatball »

Its impossible to tell you what needs to be replaced when all youve told us is that the ignition was ÔÇ£bypassedÔÇØ.

If the previous owner had ÔÇ£hot wiredÔÇØ it to bypass the keyed ignition switch then he has done so for a reason. Is the ignition broken? Did he lose the key? Is the ignition even still there at all?!?

Whatever the case, I suggest you buy a new ignition with a key and replace it. I get mine from the seller below. Good quality stuff with good prices. https://m.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Spree-NQ50 ... 8258!US!-1

If you want a matching OEM pair with ignition and seat lock, look on Ebay for a used OEM set and prepare to pay double this price. If your old OEM Honda ignition is still there (and you wanna gamble) you can take it to a locksmith or Honda dealer and they can cut the correct key using the stamped code on it. Youd then have to wire it correctly (its easy) to un-bypass whats been done. Its a gamble because you may get to this point before you discover the ignition is broken....wont know till you turn the key.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Dungan23
Noob
Noob

Post by Dungan23 »

My apologies I didnÔÇÖt give enough info, he bypassed it because the ignition broke it is still present tho, and itÔÇÖs also got a dead battery so therefore the electric start does not work, it was registered to him prior to me purchasing it so I know it wasnÔÇÖt just hotwired and stolen. He lived in a rural area where theft wasnÔÇÖt a big concern thus he left it so you just kickstart it to get it running. I on the other hand am in a more urbanized area and fear someone just being able to kickstart it n take off. So IÔÇÖm looking to simply purchase an ignition with key to replace it.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Be cautious in high crime areas. These things weigh 80lbs and can be carried away..key or not.

I suggest getting the ignition on the link provided. Also a new battery since theyre only like $15 shipped on ebay. You need a 4L-BS. Running with a dead battery puts added strain on your charging system to run everything. At idle when revvs are low and the charging system isnt providing much juice, just simply using a blinker can make it die...it wont even have the voltage to make a spark.
Dungan23
Noob
Noob

Post by Dungan23 »

I know you said it requires a 4L-BS but there seems to be quite a few of those what is the whole name for the battery appropriate for my 85' Honda spree? (ex. YTX4L-BS)
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The other letters are just brand names. Ignore them.

Everyone has a different theory on which battery brand to buy. Some say to get the cheapest (me) and others swear by the special $100 gel ones. The cheapy $15 ones I get typically last me 2-3 yrs. I disconnect them during the Winter months and hook them up to a battery tender while they sit. Our rainy season lasts 6 months.

I bought one from Pacific Battery a few years back for $35 because I wanted it NOW. It was no different than the cheapy ebay one and was dead on year 2.