Ignition issue? Can't figure this out

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jiturn
Noob
Noob

Ignition issue? Can't figure this out

Post by Jiturn »

Hello,

I have an 85 spree that runs just not well.

It'll do 30mph, when i run at 30mph and let off and coast to stop sign the scooter dies unless I keep giving it a little throttle.

The scooter idles, when I start it back up.

Any ideas where i should start?

When i let off the gas after a 30mph run and coast about 3 seconds or more it dies but while coasting if i twist the throttle back to full throttle the scooter hesitates and starts back up and running. :crazy:
'86 Spree
'04 Metropolitan
motormike

Re: Ignition issue? Can't figure this out

Post by motormike »

This symptom points toward a pilot jet being compromised by debris or varnish. When throttle is closed, and you expect the engine to idle, it will die because there isn't enough fuel passing through the idle circuit to sustain ignition. A good cleaning seems to be in order. :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Jiturn
Noob
Noob

Re: Ignition issue? Can't figure this out

Post by Jiturn »

motormike wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:11 am This symptom points toward a pilot jet being compromised by debris or varnish. When throttle is closed, and you expect the engine to idle, it will die because there isn't enough fuel passing through the idle circuit to sustain ignition. A good cleaning seems to be in order. :urban:
Thanks I ended up selling the scooter but pretty sure you were right. The carb looked leaky also.
'86 Spree
'04 Metropolitan