1985 Aero 80 float adjust or float parts

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dr_rock
Noob
Noob

1985 Aero 80 float adjust or float parts

Post by dr_rock »

Hello, newbie here. I just purchased my first scoot and i'm enjoying the experience a lot so far. It's a 1985 that was seldom used (only 2500 miles) and had not been street licensed since 2003. I've already put on a 150 miles in the past week or so.
Any way, the scoot runs really well, but cold starts a bit of a problem. I believe that my float is sticky. I tested the petcock and that is functioning properly I believe, but I did the float bowl test and it's higher than the seam for the bowl (about 1 inch). My understanding is that the floats cannot really be adjusted and it looks like the OEM floats are unavailable. Anyone know of a decent after market float that I can purchase? I want to try to keep it as stock as possible.
I think the bystarter is working properly, but I am prepared to bypass if I need to with a manual choke.
Cheers!
bradmeehan
Elite
Elite

Re: 1985 Aero 80 float adjust or float parts

Post by bradmeehan »

I saw a video where a guy used a heat gun to warm the little tab that determines the float height and was able to bend it back to a reasonable hight. I haven't tried it, but i don't see why that wouldn't work?

My 85 Aero was purchased from a guy who bought an aftermarket carb (which you CANNOT use on the 85) just to use the float. That's another option as they are about $20-ish.
1986 Spree
1986 Spree (Big Bore)
1985 Aero 50
1985 Aero 80
1988 Elite 50 (SB50)

1985 "OrangeJuice" (Sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CYYlkRRqa8
dr_rock
Noob
Noob

Post by dr_rock »

Thank you for the information. I will try to locate that video first to see how to bend the float height tab.
bradmeehan
Elite
Elite

Post by bradmeehan »

Here you go:

https://youtu.be/t9W9bs-KLaI?t=141

Not even kidding, Taryl's videos are the best. "There's your dinner"
1986 Spree
1986 Spree (Big Bore)
1985 Aero 50
1985 Aero 80
1988 Elite 50 (SB50)

1985 "OrangeJuice" (Sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CYYlkRRqa8
dr_rock
Noob
Noob

Post by dr_rock »

Been putting some good miles on the Aero 80 and it's made for a fun summer. New tires mounted, new air cleaner (other one was crumbling), luckily my belt is in good shape.

I am still trying to figure out if I have a petcock issue or a float issue. Occasionally, the carb will overflow after a ride (out the overflow tube). I did the petcock test by removing the vacuum tube from the carb, sucking on it, and with the drain screw opened I get flow. I am wondering if my petcock is sometimes not working though? Or if maybe my float is sticking and allowing fuel to run by sometimes after the bike has been ridden. I am tempted to buy a new petcock just to eliminate that as a potential issue. I can get a new Honda one for $50 or there are tons of aftermarket ones for less than $10 on ebay and amazon. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.
I'm hoping that once this issue is fixed that my hard cold starts will also be eliminated.
motormike

Post by motormike »

dr_rock wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:09 pm
I think the bystarter is working properly, but I am prepared to bypass if I need to with a manual choke.
AERO 80 does NOT have a typical electrical bystarter.
An entirely different system was used on Aero 80.
The "BI-Metal" system (as I think it was named) was (IMHO) a complete and utter failure.
Parts are not available. When they are 30+ years old, they don't usually work.
THIS is your cold-start problem...the system is junk and non-functional.
Your fuel - drip, flooding problem is likely caused by a bad float needle, or maybe by debris in the fuel tank.
Debris can foul the petcock, float needle, and every passage in the carburetor.
The ONLY Aero 80 I have ever owned possessed these very problems, and I NEVER had any success
getting the bike to run properly...SOLD IT.
I refuse to even consider buying another Aero 80 based on the horrible "enrichment" system.
I'm sorry to be so negative about the bike, but this has been my own experience.
Others seem to love the Aero 80 because they have not been troubled by a failed system.
Past member, Bear 45-70, devised a by-pass for the system and created a thread about it.
I will try to find that thread and include a LINK here>> http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... ilit=choke
I suggest you inspect the fuel tank for debris, and clean it.
Also, you should install a fuel filter in the line to the carb.
Remove float bowl and clean. Remove float needle and inspect closely.
Replace if damaged. The float needle seat can be cleaned with a Q-tip and toothpaste.
As for the petcock, it may be possible to dis-assemble and clean.
I would hesitate to spend $50 on a "hunch".
Fuel, oil, and vacuum hoses ALWAYS should be replaced with new when bringing an old scooter back to life.
Old hoses are NOT compatible with today's fuels, and tend to become deteriorated inside, creating additional
debris inside all the fuel-related components.
I hope something in my comment has given you some help in sorting your Aero 80 back to a good running bike.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
dr_rock
Noob
Noob

Post by dr_rock »

Thank you for the reply MotorMike. This helps a great deal. Since this problem comes and goes (seems to come more when the tank is full), I am sure you are exactly right. I will run the fuel down, and clean out the tank, put in a filter, and give the carb a good cleaning.
So the Aero 80 choke is a Bi-Metal and not a bystarter? I think mine is working properly, but will know for sure after cleaning out fuel system.
I hate ethanol (had to replace plastic tank on my 2009 motorcycle because the tank swelled too much) and now avoid running oxy fuel in my small engines.
Will report back.
Sorry you had a bad experience on the Aero 80. It's my first Scoot and I love it. I would also like an Aero 125.
dr_rock
Noob
Noob

Post by dr_rock »

What is the proper diameter for new fuel lines? Is it 3/16?
dr_rock
Noob
Noob

Post by dr_rock »

In the 1985 Honda Aero 80 manual, Honda does call their auto choke a Bystarter
bystarter.JPG
bystarter.JPG (51.43 KiB) Viewed 7749 times
motormike

Post by motormike »

dr_rock wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:46 pm In the 1985 Honda Aero 80 manual, Honda does call their auto choke a Bystarter
bystarter.JPG
They did that to make me look stupid.
I've edited my original comment to reflect an accurate statement.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
dr_rock
Noob
Noob

Post by dr_rock »

motormike wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:27 pm
dr_rock wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:46 pm In the 1985 Honda Aero 80 manual, Honda does call their auto choke a Bystarter
bystarter.JPG
They did that to make me look stupid.
I've edited my original comment to reflect an accurate statement.
Ah okay! Thank you very much. Sounds like I have two projects (clean fuel system and install a manual choke).
Thank you!
dr_rock
Noob
Noob

Post by dr_rock »

motormike wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:26 pm
dr_rock wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:09 pm
AERO 80 does NOT have a typical electrical bystarter.
An entirely different system was used on Aero 80.
The "BI-Metal" system (as I think it was named) was (IMHO) a complete and utter failure.
Parts are not available. When they are 30+ years old, they don't usually work.
THIS is your cold-start problem...the system is junk and non-functional.
Your fuel - drip, flooding problem is likely caused by a bad float needle, or maybe by debris in the fuel tank.
Debris can foul the petcock, float needle, and every passage in the carburetor.
The ONLY Aero 80 I have ever owned possessed these very problems, and I NEVER had any success
getting the bike to run properly...SOLD IT.
I refuse to even consider buying another Aero 80 based on the horrible "enrichment" system.
I'm sorry to be so negative about the bike, but this has been my own experience.
Others seem to love the Aero 80 because they have not been troubled by a failed system.
Past member, Bear 45-70, devised a by-pass for the system and created a thread about it.
I will try to find that thread and include a LINK here>> http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... ilit=choke
I suggest you inspect the fuel tank for debris, and clean it.
Also, you should install a fuel filter in the line to the carb.
Remove float bowl and clean. Remove float needle and inspect closely.
Replace if damaged. The float needle seat can be cleaned with a Q-tip and toothpaste.
As for the petcock, it may be possible to dis-assemble and clean.
I would hesitate to spend $50 on a "hunch".
Fuel, oil, and vacuum hoses ALWAYS should be replaced with new when bringing an old scooter back to life.
Old hoses are NOT compatible with today's fuels, and tend to become deteriorated inside, creating additional
debris inside all the fuel-related components.
I hope something in my comment has given you some help in sorting your Aero 80 back to a good running bike.
Hey MotorMike, Thank you for your tips. I removed the tank, and gave it a good cleaning. There was some sediment in there. After getting it clean I replaced fuel lines and installed a fuel filter. I also bypassed the bystarter.
Now it starts quickly even when cold and accelerates much better. Thank you!

I just ordered a 90 main jet. Once that arrives I will replace what I believe to be the stock main jet and inspect the carb. It seems that the carb still overflowed when the tank is full of fuel. Not sure if that's my petcock, some sediment in the carb, or if my float is set too high.
dr_rock
Noob
Noob

Post by dr_rock »

So I do think my petcock is my problem. Even after cleaning the tank, installing a fuel filter and replacing the lines, and installing a manual choke (which is working), it takes a very long time when the bike has sat for a day or two to get fuel to the carb.
I suspect the petcock, and I was hoping to not spend $50 on a new one, but I have heard the cheap aftermarket ones are not good.