1986 Spree No Power Off the Line

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Bronco's Buddy
Noob
Noob

1986 Spree No Power Off the Line

Post by Bronco's Buddy »

We have two '86 Honda scooters, an Aero and a Spree. The Spree has just over 2000 miles on it. It used to run better but recently it has no power off the line, and bogs, big time, going uphill. Once it gets it up to speed on the flats (top speed 30) it runs fine. What can be done to fix this problem?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1986 Spree No Power Off the Line

Post by eclark5483 »

How old is the belt and have you checked the clutch pads to see if they are worn? Only 2,000 miles might be well and dandy if the bike wasn't 30+ years old. After all this time, that belt should be naturally deteriorating by now, so the mileage wouldn't mean much if it is running the original belt.

Otherwise, basic maintenance like changing the plug, replacing the air filter with a properly oiled new filter. Could/probably needs a good carb cleaning.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1986 Spree No Power Off the Line

Post by Meatball »

I agree that a new belt is in order. Theyre cheap and it might be your problem. Other possibilities is a slipping clutch or a dirty pulley.

Try THIS before you buy anything:
Remove belt cover
Remove cutch bell, clutch and belt
Remove front pulley
CLEAN the belt with alcohol and a microfiber towel
CLEAN the front pulley assembly with Brakleen on the surfaces that contact the belt
CLEAN inside clutch bell with Brakleen
CLEAN rear clutch pulleys (best you can) on surfaces that contact the belt with Brakleen and rag
Use 220 grit or higher sandpaper to LIGHTLY scuff clutch pads. Careful not to remove material...just scuff!

Re-assemble and return with results.

Tip of the day: when re-assembling the belt drive system, compress the rear clutch pulleys with one hand and be forcing the belt as deep as you can get it. Its a two hand job to be sqeezing and belt-forcing simultaneously. Once the belt is nice and deep, HOLD it in there so it doesnt pop out. Now you have slack on the belt to install front pulleys with ease....also, dont ever assemble belt/pulleys with greasy fingers. Belt will slip for sure if you get the pulleys all slimey.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.