Starter Issues - 1986 Spree NQ50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

gkolar
Noob
Noob

Starter Issues - 1986 Spree NQ50

Post by gkolar »

We have a spree that runs great, however the starter seems to be going on it. Sometimes it "squeals" when it turns over, other times it works, other times it won't start. It kick starts without issue.

Have others had luck with used/re-built starters from ebay? Have you found places that will re-build your starter? Honda dealer of course said to to stay away from aftermarket ones. Its not in the most accessible place to swap out unless I'm missing something (bottom front area of motor in behind the exhaust).

Just looking for options/ideas from others who may have been in the same place to get it back running the way it should. Thanks
motormike

Re: Starter Issues - 1986 Spree NQ50

Post by motormike »

Sounds like the problem is the "starter gear"(Bendix)
Or possibly the pinion gear on the starter.
I'm not familiar enough with Spree to offer advice.
patthesoundguy to the white courtesy phone, please.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
bradmeehan
Elite
Elite

Re: Starter Issues - 1986 Spree NQ50

Post by bradmeehan »

I know that sound well.

I would think battery, the bendix itself, or bendix mating with the cover incorrectly:

1. Battery - Don't rule out a fully-charged battery as the culprit.
2. Bendix - If your seals have leaked, there could be oil/dirt in the trans case that could have gummed up the bendix. when it spins when the motor turns it, it actually extends a bit and has a spring that brings it back. If it's sticking, it might not engage with the gear.
3. If the cover doesn't have a gasket installed, there won't be enough clearance for it to push out far enough to spin. Try loosening the bolts on the cover a few turns to give it some gap. You can buy or make a gasket that will give it enough shim.
1986 Spree
1986 Spree (Big Bore)
1985 Aero 50
1985 Aero 80
1988 Elite 50 (SB50)

1985 "OrangeJuice" (Sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CYYlkRRqa8