Cracked spree gas tank repair

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ian85Spree
Noob
Noob

Cracked spree gas tank repair

Post by Ian85Spree »

So as I was installing an inline fuel shut off today I noticed that the fuel tank has been cracked, repaired and is leaking again. Anyone have any experiences using things like JB Weld gas tank or permatex gas tank repair? Can't justify the price of a replacement tank and getting it brazed is also probably more than I really want to spend.
1985 Spree
motormike

Re: Cracked spree gas tank repair

Post by motormike »

Post an image of the nasty breakage...maybe we can suggest something depending on location and severity.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Ian85Spree
Noob
Noob

Post by Ian85Spree »

I'll post pictures when I can, it is sitting in the shop at work right now so I likely won't see it until Monday. Looks to be a hairline crack along the side and possibly one around the fuel outlet that I very well could have reopened when reinstalling the petcock. They aren't big, but enough to let the fuel leak out over a few days.
1985 Spree
Ian85Spree
Noob
Noob

Post by Ian85Spree »

Picked up a versachem fuel tank repair kit today. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow evening and see how it works. Fingers crossed it works out.
1985 Spree
Ian85Spree
Noob
Noob

Post by Ian85Spree »

So I decided against using the versachem tank repair and went with POR15 tank stuff. Followed the directions to the letter. Multiple rounds of degreaser, a good long soak with the metal prep acid stuff and a solid half hour of rolling the coating around the inside of the tank. Once I drained the tank I coated the outside with some of the remainder since there was a fair amount left. It says to let it dry/cure for at least 4 days but I'll probably wait until next weekend to mount it. Reviews seem positive of this product for the most part, and I suspect that the poor reviews are more to do with surface prep than anything.

While I was at it I decided to clean the carb. The bowl and jets actually weren't that bad which surprised me. Only thing was that the bystarter is broken. The brass "tube" that holds the needle isn't connected to the rest of the unit. So the needle now just sits at the bottom all the time. I'll order a new one and replace it when it comes in.

Once I mount and use the tank I'll update the thread with my thoughts on how it worked.
1985 Spree
Ian85Spree
Noob
Noob

Post by Ian85Spree »

So the POR15 kit seems to have worked wonders. Not a single drop of fuel has leaked out in the past couple of weeks. I think following the directions to the letter was the reason for success.

New bystarter has arrived, I'll try and install it today or early this week. Also got some new belts so I'll replace the current one that is slipping. Also replaced the tires a week or so ago.
1985 Spree