Canadian new guy

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

terrykrook
Noob
Noob

Canadian new guy

Post by terrykrook »

Goo afternoon! I just happened to stumble onto this site while looking for information. I am glad I did! In Canada. I believe the Spree was called an Aero. At least mine is. I recently picked it up as a non runner. It turns over find but did not start. so I checked the gas at the carb and although the tank was full, no fuel is getting to the carb. I can blow through the hose and it bubbles in the tank. That was the first thing I tried. So I ran a hose from a gas can to the carb. fuel will come out the bowl drain, but it still would not start. . So I have fuel,and air, it must be spark! Yup, sure enough, no spark to the plug. At that point it was nearing Beer 30 so I quit I have been looking around, and I am wondering. Is there a sensor in the oil tank that shuts off the spark when it is low? do the brake leavers have to be pulled to start? I am 65 years old. Anything newer that the early 80's has way too much useless crap on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much. Terry
motormike

Re: Canadian new guy

Post by motormike »

Hiya Terry...Spree and Aero are two separate, and distinct models made concurrently during Honda's venture into scootering.
There is NO such sensor to kill spark regarding the oil tank.
You are CORRECT in that the brake lever must be lighting the tail lamp in order to achieve a completed electrical circuit in the ignition.
This was a safety feature to prevent you from riding off without a working tail lamp.
The petcock is vacuum operated, thus it ONLY flows fuel as the engine is turning over creating vacuum.
Scooters of considerable age do need some refreshing of items to be sound for riding.
Give us the particulars concerning your bike, what has been done already in recent years?
Pictures are nice if you can manage....welcome aboard sir, glad to have you.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
terrykrook
Noob
Noob

Post by terrykrook »

Thank-you! The tail light come on when he key is on, but the brake light does not work . Is it the brake or tail light that activates it? I did find the switch. I will go check ot for power, I bypassed all the fuel line and went right to the carb to test it. The big was parked about a year or two ago I was told. It was supposedly running when parked.
terrykrook
Noob
Noob

Post by terrykrook »

I was told it is an 1985 but I am not sure, No paper yet. it has electric start only, and was told it is a 50 CC Aero.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Maybe it's only the lail lamp that needs to burn to complete the circuit, but the lever must be depressed to have starter power.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
terrykrook
Noob
Noob

Post by terrykrook »

Both the brake and tail light are working now. The spark plug wire come out of something that I suppose is some kind of coil but it sure is tiny. Two wires going to it but neither has power. I put a jumper wire on direct from the battery and still no luck. It did heat up that box the plug wire comes out of.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

That black cylindrical thing bolted to the frame is indeed the coil. One of those wires comes from the alternator and charges the coil with AC current, not DC. Hot wiring might well have heated it up, perhaps cooking it. Hopefully not permanently. Sorting this out just got more complicated as components are questionable. The Service Manual is pretty exhaustive for testing each component if you have a multi-meter. I'm nearly certain that the starting circuit is completed by the brake, not the tail lamp. Mousewheels is the acknowledged master of all things scooter electric.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Hi terrykrook,
...The spark plug wire come out of something that I suppose is some kind of coil but it sure is tiny. Two wires going to it but neither has power. I put a jumper wire on direct from the battery and still no luck. It did heat up that box the plug wire comes out of.

What Wheelman says is wise as well his recommendation to run the resistance checks listed in the service manual.
One of those wires comes from the alternator and charges the coil with AC current, not DC. Hot wiring might well have heated it up, perhaps cooking it. Hopefully not permanently. Sorting this out just got more complicated as components are questionable.

Here is a link to this site's service manuals. You will want to download this to get the resistance tests.
Service Manual Link Page

Additionally, since info is spread out in the Service Manual, here's a few images:

The CDI location a great test probe site. Almost all electrical resistance checks can be run from either the harness side or the CDI itself.
Aero_50_IGN_Component_Location.jpg
Aero_50_IGN_Component_Location.jpg (89.97 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
Here is the ignition system diagram.
Aero_50_Ignition_System_Diagram.JPG
Aero_50_Ignition_System_Diagram.JPG (28.12 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
This troubleshooting chart covers steps for the ignition.
Aero_50_Troubleshooting_Chart.JPG
Aero_50_Troubleshooting_Chart.JPG (25 KiB) Viewed 4085 times