Measure Bystarter Needle Spring

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ddn
BMX
BMX

Measure Bystarter Needle Spring

Post by ddn »

I'm wondering if someone could measure the small spring that goes between the "lower needle assembly holder & actuator" and the actual brass needle and collar. It's basically what provides downward pressure and tension on the needle, and holds it away from the black plastic fingers that hold the collar one. I've been able to salvage a bystarter by combining parts from two, but I am missing this small spring.

Would be great to add to the wiki too. I could measure the other springs.
motormike

Re: Measure Bystarter Needle Spring

Post by motormike »

So, you've combined two bystarters to make one ?
This seems like an impossible feat, considering the one time that
I destroyed a bystarter, it looked like re-inserting the needle was
never going to happen.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I thought it was odd that you had two bystarters and seem to have lost the small spring on both of em. Someone should really design a manual choke that bolts to the stock Keihin carbs...long overdue.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
ddn
BMX
BMX

Post by ddn »

It's actually pretty simple.

I pulled a bystarter off an extra engine I got with my first Spree, and it was missing the needle and spring, but had a brass collar.

I just bought another Spree, and some bubba had glued the collar and needle onto the black plastic lower assembly which had the "teeth" broken off. As a result, the length was completely wrong and the bystarter would never close in this configuration.

So I took the needle and collar from the one, and put it on the other one that was almost complete except for the lower spring.

Is the explanation satisfying to the jury?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

No! We want pictures from every angle, detailed diagrams and also a short video of the re-build process.

Seriously tho...buy yourself a replacement bystarter and quit the Frankenstein nonsense.
ddn
BMX
BMX

Post by ddn »

I didn't know that fixing a perfectly good part was Frankenstein nonsense. But I was also under the impression the Chinese bystarters weren't as reliable as OEM.
Ian85Spree
Noob
Noob

Post by Ian85Spree »

I just bought one for $8 on amazon since mine is in 2 parts. I'll pass on a review once it comes in.
1985 Spree
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Ian85Spree wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:51 pm I just bought one for $8 on amazon since mine is in 2 parts. I'll pass on a review once it comes in.
I bought an Ebay cheepo one a few Summers ago and it worked like a charm the few months I used it. Had no issues until I sold the scoot to make room for more. OF COURSE the generic parts wont have the quality or reliability of OEM parts, thats a given. However in the case of electrical parts like bystarter, relays, resistors and switches...it just makes more sense (to me) to just get new ones instead of dissecting them with a microscope and tweezers to repair them. Mechanical items like clutches, brakes, variators, etc...seems like I franken-bulid with those everyday!

The bystarter only functions for the first 30 seconds when you cold start anyways. No need to have a solid gold one in there for something needed <1% of the time.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Side note: The cheepo bystarter I bought was giving me fits at the beginning. It would cold start fine but once warm the scoot would run like garbage. This haunted me for days trying to diagnose the issue until I was enlightened by MouseWheels about a tiny black rubber washer that needs to be removed. Its at the needle tip of the cheepo bystarter and can be easily picked out with a razor blade. It was stopping the cylinder from fully engaging and causing an air leak. I removed it and my issues went away. THANKS, MOUSEWHEELS!!
ddn
BMX
BMX

Post by ddn »

Meatball wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:35 am The bystarter only functions for the first 30 seconds when you cold start anyways. No need to have a solid gold one in there for something needed <1% of the time.
Actually you're looking at it completely backwards. The bystarter needs to function 99% of the time, because if it isn't closing off the bystarter circuit, your scooter is going to run like crap.

I get that you're afraid of replacing a spring in a simple electro-mechanical part, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's no different than replacing the needle valve in the carb.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

ddn Send me your mailing address in a private message and I will send you a bystarter spring.. free with free shipping..
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Sent bystarter spring out to you in today's mail.. included a needle too so the spring won't get bent by the mail sorter.
ddn
BMX
BMX

Post by ddn »

Thank you, really appreciate it!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

ddn wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:02 am I get that you're afraid of replacing a spring in a simple electro-mechanical part
Afraid?? Ha! My time is better spent in the saddle than hunched over a workbench looking for a spring.
ddn wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:02 am if it isn't closing off the bystarter circuit, your scooter is going to run like crap.
Hence the removal of the tiny rubber washer explained in my previous post...so it will seal the 99% of the time. My 1% comment was aimed toward cold starts when the bystarter (automatic choke) is automatically choking.

There is no right or wrong with either method. Its a personal choice. You repair...I replace. Its just a matter of if youd rather spend the time or money. Both will get you there.
:peace:
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

:hi: Subscribed, interested in spring info details. Glad Vintage had bystarter parts around :hi: