1993 Honda elite sr major oil leak

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Scooter gang
Noob
Noob

1993 Honda elite sr major oil leak

Post by Scooter gang »

Hey fellas, I just bought my new to me 1993 and it seems like I may have to just scrap everything besides the brakes and ignition. The engine smokes terribly but it will make 30 mph which is decent enough for key west. I am just curious to know if you guys can give me an estimate on what it would cost me to rebuild this little rascal. Thanks for your time.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1993 Honda elite sr major oil leak

Post by eclark5483 »

Most 2 strokes do smoke. Need a little more info. How many miles on the engine, has there been any modifications to the oil pump, has the pump been removed and oil premixed into the tank? A smoking 2 stroke engine doesn't necessarily mean bad rings. Have you ran a compression test on it?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I bought a scooter from guy once that smoked worse than Ive ever seen. Plumes so thick that would fill up the neighborhood with just a few minutes of running. Turns out, the guy had filled the oil reservoir with 10w30 motor oil.

Point being, a few different things will make your Elite smoke terribly. Some require extensive repair while others are minor and sometimes even free! Before you think “scrap” or “rebuild” you should first diagnose the problem. THEN come up with a course of action.

Clean the motor as thoroughly as you can. Its tough to see problems under a layer of muck. Inpect every inch of motor from top to bottom for leaks, loose/missing bolts, broken parts, cracks, etc..remove the carburetor and disassemble it using the wiki walk-through as a guide. Clean it as instructed. Take note of what main jet is installed and be sure the needle clip is on the middle notch. Install a new CORRECT spark plug with proper gap, air filter and exhaust gasket. Reinstall the carb and set mixture screw to factory settings as explained in the Service Manual.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Shet-tons of smoke on start-up not an uncommon symptom.
Usually means that oil has leaked into the cylinder during an extended period of dormancy.
Expect the exhaust pipe to contain oil too.
Might even be oil in bottom of engine case.
Does NOT mean it needs rebuilt.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Scooter gang wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:25 pm Hey fellas, I just bought my new to me 1993 and it seems like I may have to just scrap everything besides the brakes and ignition. The engine smokes terribly but it will make 30 mph which is decent enough for key west. I am just curious to know if you guys can give me an estimate on what it would cost me to rebuild this little rascal. Thanks for your time.
If you scrap the engine, you might as well scrap the rest. Those engines are not dime-a-dozen anymore. Agree with others here; excessive smoke on a new to you scooter usually means oil is leaking at pump into bottom end. Carry a spare plug and plug tool and run it, and I'd read the manual on purging the oil tank and lines and filling with known good oil.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Scooter gang
Noob
Noob

Post by Scooter gang »

Hey thanks fellas for the sound advice I’m going to give it a good scrub down, it sure needs it. Gonna take some before and after pictures too. I love the way it looks, hope I can get it back on the street and in good condition.
Scooter gang
Noob
Noob

Post by Scooter gang »

I’m wanting to add photos but the file size is too large anyone know how to make em smaller? It’s very rusty on the frame but luckily it appears that it hasn’t eaten any holes in it.