Starts then immediately dies

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Hinsonator
Noob
Noob

Starts then immediately dies

Post by Hinsonator »

Hi all, I picked up a 1985 spree last night and figured I’d try and get it to run today. I cleaned the carb according to the forum instructions with every hole being sprayed with carb cleaner and cleaned out with guitar string and whatnot. Once I assembled carb again and reinstalled it will run for about 10 seconds rev really high and then die. My suspicion is that it is running on the carb cleaner when this happens. I know that gas is getting in the float bowl because the drain screw empties gas when loosened. The petcock/fuel pump located under the gas tank with the 2 hoses may not be functional, I’m not sure how to check. But I hooked up the gas line and sucked/blew in the vacuum line and fuel was flowing into the bowl. Will
Not start again after that initial 10 seconds. I have cleaned the carb about 4 times now thinking I missed something but I can assure the carb is cleaned.
Wheelman-111

Re: Starts then immediately dies

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Check the basics. Compression? Crank end seals? Muffler clogged? It isn't always the carb's fault...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
motormike

Post by motormike »

Run-away throttle on start-up is sometimes the result of installing the throttle slide 180 degrees wrongly.
The slide will fit, and the top will screw on, but the slide will be stuck in the FULL OPEN position, being held up by the "guide pin".
Confirm you have installed the slide correctly and have full up and down movement.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Hinsonator
Noob
Noob

Post by Hinsonator »

Not to sure on how to check compression or the crank end seals. Muffler seems clear as far as I can tell. I did notice however that the bystarters gasket is completely ruined. Could that be it? I haven’t tried the trick to hold thumb over the bystarter hole yet.
Hinsonator
Noob
Noob

Post by Hinsonator »