1988 Elite SA50 carburetor

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

NiftySA50
BMX
BMX

1988 Elite SA50 carburetor

Post by NiftySA50 »

I am a recent owner of a 1988 Honda Elite SA 50. We love this scooter but I quickly realized this thing needs help in the carburetor department. I got the mixtures working well enough to idle right and make it rideable but discovered the carb had a small gas drip and horrible gas mileage. I tried a new bystarter but made it worse where it won’t stay running. I’m not super mechanical so figured I would have local dealer rebuild carb. They said find the parts and we will rebuild. From the dealers response finding a rebuild kit to keep oem carb is difficult. I don’t want an aftermarket Chinese carb so what is my next step? Thoughts?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1988 Elite SA50 carburetor

Post by Meatball »

First: stay away from the dealer. They charge way too much for things that are way too easy...even for those not mechanically inclined.

Second: read the wiki walk-through and educate yourself on the inner components of the stock carb. They are truly as simple as pie and consist of maybe 10 pieces.

Third: diagnose the leak! An easy way I use is to clean and dry the outside of the carb completely...spotless as you can. Wrap the carb in a paper towel (and tape) and run it. Inspect paper towel for wet spots to locate origin of the leak. Now you know the problem.

Fourth: fix it by buying the gasket, float needle, o-ring or whatever...and install it. Give the carb a good clean while youre there and be happy you just saved lots of money.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
NiftySA50
BMX
BMX

Post by NiftySA50 »

Thanks Meatball for the advice. Do you know a good place to buy the gaskets, float needle, o-ring etc.? I will try to remove the carb myself and determine all the inner components.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Determine what you need, then I will try to provide a source. There isnt ONE place to get everything usually.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

How about an online honda parts store?
http://shop.jerseyshorepowersports.com/ ... sp?srt=mfg They should have gasket kit which has all the o-rings included.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
NiftySA50
BMX
BMX

Post by NiftySA50 »

Sounds good Meatball.
NiftySA50
BMX
BMX

Post by NiftySA50 »

I will take a look at that site Bonesv. Thanks
Shnapper
Noob
Noob

Post by Shnapper »

I also will need to eventually replace a few carb gaskets on my SB50p. Right now it appears the float bowl gasket is seeping a little bit. Don’t want to pull carb unless I have everything, especially the manifold/reed gasket. Not sure why stuff like this gets discontinued when there are a bunch of these scoots still in service.
I refuse to tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I’ve had to make gaskets, it’s not too difficult with a good knife and smooth surface to cut on.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Shnapper
Noob
Noob

Post by Shnapper »

? The OEM bowl gasket isn’t rubber?????

I think my SB50p carb might be different, not sure..
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Shnapper wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:57 pm ? The OEM bowl gasket isn’t rubber?????

Sorry, I mean't the intake base gaskets. I was not aware the bowl gasket was no longer available. Edit: The title of your post is for sa50 parts. Now you ask for sb50 bowl gaskets? I am confused but you are correct about the sb50 - it is different. I don't recall having a leaking bowl gasket on any of the 20 or so elite 50cc carburetors I have seen. The leak usually comes from the o-ring missing, or damaged in the f/a adjustment screw and dripping down onto the bottom of the bowl. Double check it by cleaning off the side and bowl, then run it for a few miles. Inspect immediately after with paper towel.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Shnapper wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:07 pm I also will need to eventually replace a few carb gaskets on my SB50p. Right now it appears the float bowl gasket is seeping a little bit. Don’t want to pull carb unless I have everything, especially the manifold/reed gasket. Not sure why stuff like this gets discontinued when there are a bunch of these scoots still in service.
sb50 was only made available to usa for 3 yrs.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Shnapper
Noob
Noob

Post by Shnapper »

bonesv wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:58 pm
Shnapper wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:57 pm ? The OEM bowl gasket isn’t rubber?????

Sorry, I mean't the intake base gaskets. I was not aware the bowl gasket was no longer available. Edit: The title of your post is for sa50 parts. Now you ask for sb50 bowl gaskets? I am confused but you are correct about the sb50 - it is different. I don't recall having a leaking bowl gasket on any of the 20 or so elite 50cc carburetors I have seen. The leak usually comes from the o-ring missing, or damaged in the f/a adjustment screw and dripping down onto the bottom of the bowl. Double check it by cleaning off the side and bowl, then run it for a few miles. Inspect immediately after with paper towel.

Yeah my bad on the carb model/scooter version, I hitched on to this thread thinking they were the same carb.

Wiped it all up(wasn’t much)and rode it a little bit. I don’t see anything that concerns me. Before I rode it, I pulled air box as I suspected it was coming from the box boot. I found a puddle of oil in the air box boot and wiped it out. My initial inclination was the air box as the residue was higher that the A/F screw so I’ll keep my eye on it. I most likely messed up in two ways..

1. sometimes I pop(stationary wheelie)up the front end to turn it around in my garage.

2. I just hand cut some UNI air filter foam and over oiled it which didn’t help either.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I recently kitted my 2001 Elite carb ordering from 2WheelPros.com. Evidently the stuff for 1988 is more scarce, but you can see what they have here.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
NiftySA50
BMX
BMX

Post by NiftySA50 »

Meatball wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:38 pm Determine what you need, then I will try to provide a source. There isnt ONE place to get everything usually.
Now that the Florida heat is gone i removed and took apart my Elite SA50 carb. Trying to figure out what is wrong. Should I just use carburetor cleaner spray? The carburetor doesn’t look too dirty. The plastic float seems bouncy (I have a new one anyway). I was hoping to see something obvious. I did notice the metal housing you screw the jet into has a chip. Will try to photograph that. Thoughts?