SB50P Carburetor vs NQ50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bryanb
Noob
Noob

SB50P Carburetor vs NQ50

Post by bryanb »

Hi.
Just bought a 1989 Honda Elite E, from a guy who claims it was running last summer. But its clearly been banged up a little, and sitting around a long time. Missing mirrors, need seat cover, and body parts. Was last registered in 2000.

He gave me a the carb, on the scooter, and an extra one. The carbthat was on the scooter has no oil line. And the oil line is on the intake. the extra carb has the oil line on it.

So, reading around, I think I've surmised that he installed the NQ50 (spree?) carb AND intake manifold onto this scooter? For example, the intake definitely looks like the one on the right: http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... f=8&t=2957

Neither one seem to run well, with my mechanical ability, anyway. At first I couldn't get (what we'll call the NQ50) carb to work at all. Finally tracked down to a stuck vacuum petcock. Loosed this up, and cleaned out the valve, and not gas flows easily, most of the time. Got it running, and went around the block for around 10 minutes. Got up to around 25 mph. Then it started to act funny. At medium to full throttle, it would just die. less throttle than that only got me 10 mph, maybe.

Swapped carbs, and now have the SB50P carb installed. Got it to fire up, but runs way rich, and the mixture doesn't seem to do anything. At this point I realized that the extra tap on the carb is the oil injection, and with nothing hooked to it (because its on the intake), is a giant vacuum leak.

Wondering if anyone can comment. Im thinking of tracking down a SB50P intake, and then running a new oil line from the pump to the carb instead of the intake.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: SB50P Carburator vs NQ50

Post by eclark5483 »

You're losing power with a Spree intake/carb for sure. I have an SB50 intake (and reeds even). Price will be pretty cheap. I'll have to see what they have been going for, won't charge you but maybe half of that if you are interested. Wouldn't advise running it till you have the proper intake/carb. Run it the way Honda intended is always solid advice. To do it any other way, you end up with a Spree. And you don't want that.

bryanb
Noob
Noob

Post by bryanb »

I'd probably be down for that. I saw some similar on some motorcycle shops web pages for around $25. Am I going to need some gaskets too, then?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yeah, looks like they go for around $30, so I can do $15 with free shipping, if you want the reeds too, will go $20. On my way to work right now, shoot me a PM for paypal info.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

bryanb wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:11 pm Am I going to need some gaskets too, then?
Yes, and you can get them pretty cheap from the site admin's eBay page here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/142207616725

Also, you might wanna clean up the intake and reeds I sent you a little better. It was an extra I picked up a long while back, so I never took the time to clean em up nice where the gaskets go (as you can see in the image). They have just been collecting dust in the garage for about 2 years. Little fine grit sandpaper and some goo gone should have em in pretty good shape for install. Reeds are in good shape, though the admin is now offering brand new carbon fiber replacements if you choose to do that at some point.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142928234773

Just wanted to give ya a quick heads up on replacement stuff you'll wanna hunt down for it eventually.

Oh yeah, could you please post some pics of the bike and focus on both sides of engine, might help identify any other potential issues. Wanna have a look at the entire setup. Is the airbox connected?
bryanb
Noob
Noob

Post by bryanb »

I'll try to shoot some pictures when im in the garage to get my motorcycle out. (JDM, Honda LA250T Custom)
It seems fine to me. QUite complete, I think. I tried to get a Yamaha scooter running years ago, and failed miserably. So kinda anxious. A friend at work builds and restores much bigger bikes, and was at Bonneville racing a few weeks ago. he's pretty confident anyway, if we just put all the factory parts on, and give it a whirl.
The intake that was on the bike looked like it fit in real well. In fact I'd be fooled into thinking the oil line to the NQ50 intake was factory, but it was a little tight, when it was routed. The intake looked like it was there for a while, but the bolts looked new.
bryanb
Noob
Noob

Re: SB50P Carburetor vs NQ50

Post by bryanb »

attached a couple photos, with the carb and intake OFF, and of the right side. Looks like a small exhaust leak to me. The oil on the pump, I think is from leaving it sit for a week or so, and the hose (oringal, used with the NQ50 intake), pointed up, and a screw in it to attempt to prevent leaks (failed)
Attachments
IMG_3857.JPG
IMG_3857.JPG (566.77 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
IMG_3859.JPG
IMG_3859.JPG (562.49 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
IMG_3858.JPG
IMG_3858.JPG (545.31 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yeah, somethings going on. Hopefully you picked up noiseguy's kit. It has a new exhaust gasket in it along with the intake ones. That doesn't appear to be from oil, it's only on the muffler side, so yep, probably leaking. As sorry of a shape it was when you got it, wouldn't surprise me if you crack it open and the gasket is missing. Now how bout your airbox system, do you have that, or are you going to need to make something for it?
bryanb
Noob
Noob

Post by bryanb »

I do have the airbox, and filter, and that is attached. Resonably good shape.