trying to get sb50p to run

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bryanb
Noob
Noob

trying to get sb50p to run

Post by bryanb »

New to me Honda SB50P.
first post was here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35666
Previous owner(s) seem to have had the NQ50 carburator and intake on the scooter. Previous owner included a 'spare' carb. Turns out, the spare appears to be for the SB50P.
So, acquired the SB50P intake and reed from eclark5483. thanks!
Also acquired the longer intake to carb bolt, and reed valve gaskets. Put it all together. Needed a longer hose for the oil line, as it goes to the carb, and not intake now. The longer bolt I had to source form the hardware store, because honda shop didn't have and can't order. Might replace it later with actual part from online becasue: it has a 10mm head, instead of the 8, so its much more difficult to get to, with the plastic head shroud on, and attached.

Tried to start, and see if it would run. No dice :( turned mixture screw to 1 3/4, like I thought I remembered the manual stating. Finally got it to fire, but seemed very flooded, and smoke everywhere. Probably is flooded now that I think about how long it cranked before firing. :) Seems to flood easy, since it so hard to fire up.

Also noticed that I probably should have primed the oil line. In the 45 or seconds total it was 'running', it only moved about 2" up the line. But it was pumping.

Also noticed that the carb was leaking gas everywhere. Can't rally tell from where. Maybe bowl gasket.

To taking thoughts on how to get running again.
So far I've got this:
1. take carb off again: grrr, its more difficult with the 10mm head on that one bolt, and the oil line is tough to get on, with the carb in place. I ended up removing from pump, and putting on carb first, and then attaching to pump. Whats the best way to prime it? Just take it off and suck some oil into it, and then quickly attach it?

2. prime oil pump. See above.
3. take carb apart again. Make sure float didn't get a hole in it. Its actually from the other carb (the nq50), since the one that was in the SB50 carb had a massive hole. and I did drop it once :oops: .
4. obtain or make a gasket for the float bowl.
5. at this point, charge battery.

thanks.

5. put back together.
bryanb
Noob
Noob

Re: trying to get sb50p to run

Post by bryanb »

Pulled SB50 carb off, and gave it a once over again. Noticed the emulisfier tube was flat out missing! Pulled the one from the NQ50 carb, and slapped on some gasket sealer around the float bowl. and pulled the gasket from the NQ50 carb, and put on SB 50 carb.

Got everything back on scooter. Took exhaust off, and lo, there is no gasket there either. Is there supposed to be one? Put some Permatex high temp gasket sealer / gasket maker around the inside of the pipe that seems to stick inside the head. Doesn't seem to leak now.

scooter stated right up, and I put like 20 miles on it tooling around town.

Got home, and it died while I left it idling to open garage. Now doesn't fire at all anymore. :(