1985 NQ50 Starter pinion bushing

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

barber1303
Noob
Noob

1985 NQ50 Starter pinion bushing

Post by barber1303 »

Need a bit more help. The starter pinion on my '85 NQ50 failed such that it would stick in the "engaged" position. This condition led to the starter pinion bushing (the one in the block) to wallow out. I replaced the pinion with a well functioning used one, but since the bushing is worn, I still have occasional issues starting (grinding, poor engagement, squealing). I need to replace the bushing. What is the best source for the bushing, and what technique is best to remove and reinstall the bushing? Thanks in advance for your help!

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1985 NQ50 Starter pinion bushing

Post by Meatball »

I dont see that starter bushing being listed as a replaceable part...I know its actually replaceable but it doesnt look like its sold separately on the Honda parts lists.

In my opinion, the more critical bushing would be in the belt cover that holds the pinion tip in place. Your engagement/grinding issue is more likely to be at the drive face teeth rather than the starter splines. Ive had starter issues on Sprees before and it seems they like to have the belt cover gasket in place. The thin gasket thickness might just allow your pinion to engage better. My experience was that no matter what you do, engagement success will never be 100%....you always get a random free-wheeling of the pinion on start attemps.
Last edited by Meatball on Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Have you tried greasing it up? Most all pinion probs with these Sprees have more to do with 30+ year old lubricant breaking down from time and elements. Clean it out with the brake cleaner Meatball had mentioned before for the pulleys. Grease it up just a little bit, don't wanna get any on the belt or flying around on the inside. I looked for the bushing as well. Also not seeing it listed as a replacement part. I suppose a good honing would remedy this, though I have no idea how that would be done with such a small hole. Maybe the back of a drill bit with some very fine sandpaper and some type of liquid to cool while spinning? You don't wanna take anything off, the pinion won't seat right, but for sure clean and lube. Not sure how else to handle that.
barber1303
Noob
Noob

Post by barber1303 »

Thanks for the advice guys. I actually poked around with it for awhile and figured it out. A properly sized ez-out will catch the bushing and suprisingly easily turn the bushing out...relatively unharmed. I used some calipers to check the runout of the bushing and found that there was a 0.2mm "wallow" on the thrust side of the bushing (downward) from the too-long engaged pinion. This was causing the pinion to be "floppy" in the bore. Luckily this wallow was only in the first couple mm of the bushing bore. I simply turned the bushing around and hammered it back in. Not the most professional way to do it, but the starter pinion engages very reliably now.

BTW, the bushing is a service part - 11205-GF0-761 or 11205-GAH-003 8x12x8mm bronze bushing
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Nice fix! Bravo
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yes very nice. Gonna take note of that for future reference.