86 Spree NQ50 Fast Idle

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Tex_T
Noob
Noob

86 Spree NQ50 Fast Idle

Post by Tex_T »

Greetings Everyone,
Have a question have a 86 Spree my parents bought new back in the day. Now I have them, trying to restore for one of my sons. I finally was able to get it to fire up. But when it starts it seems to run at full throttle. I pulled the carb and cleaned it out, (these Honda's had been sitting for well over Twenty years untouched). Its like the throttle is stuck fully open, I have checked that it is free. I have it to the point that it will fire up as soon as the start button is hit now. just can't get it to idle down.
Any suggestion?

Thanks, Trey
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 86 Spree NQ50 Fast Idle

Post by eclark5483 »

Bystarter/Auto choke is probably bad. Have you tested it? Probably rusted on the inside so it's sticking.
btosi
Goped
Goped

Post by btosi »

When you pulled the carb did you take it apart and clean it? If so my guess is you have the the throttle plunger installed incorrectly. There is a groove in the plunger and a pin in the throat those must line up to allow the plunger to move smoothly.
Tex_T
Noob
Noob

Post by Tex_T »

btosi, I know about that crazy groove because yes that was the first mistake. But I finally got that correct. I'm not for sure about the Bystarter though eclark5483, I not for sure what it is supposed to do. I did read there should be a certain amount of resistance across the coil and that was good . I did not stick 12v to it though. I assume it acts like a plunger, when voltage is applied, just not for sure what its supposed to do.