85 Spree No click

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sb69
Noob
Noob

85 Spree No click

Post by Sb69 »

New here to the forums, lots of info to sift through and I pologize if this has already been covered! Grandpa had an 85 spree sitting around for the last 10 years or so, cleaned everything out. Fresh fluids. Fresh battery. Go to turn her over and nothing. I’m getting power to the turn signals. Front and rear. No horn no headlight. No click when I hit the starter. I am getting running light and brake light when i hit the brake. Any suggestions on what to do. I looked at the manual and am having a little bit of a difficult time testing for ohms. Maybe I’m using the wrong setting. Again thanks in advance and I appreciate all the help!
kuromi
Spree
Spree

Re: 85 Spree No click

Post by kuromi »

Welcome to the forum Sb69!

Things that spring to mind would be a knackered starter relay or maybe not squeezing the brakes when you thumb the starter
1983 Melody Deluxe II / ND50MC
1984 Melody Mini / NP50D
1979 Simson Schwalbe KR51/1 (think 2 wheel trabant/ East German Honda Cub)
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Kuromi is correct.. squeeze one of the brake levers and hold it while you thumb the starter button. Your horn not working is a separate and unrelated problem. Debug the horn problem later after you have the scooter running. The headlight will turn on automatically once the engine starts.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Checklist to start (assuming everything is operational)
1. Turn key on (taillight should illuminate, blinkers and horn should work also)
2. Switch RED knob on the RIGHT handgrip to “RUN”
3. Hold LEFT handbrake lever down (taillight should illuminate brighter, indicating brake is being applied)
4. Press START button

Possible issues if its dead silent at this point is a bad starter motor, bad starter relay, issues with the wiring, weak battery, motor is terminally ill and frozen, starter pinion is stuck engaged on the drive face and jammed, etc, etc..

Never know, mice couldve gotten around inside and chewed a critical wire someplace or it could be a completely FUBAR motor...maybe thats why Gramps had it sittin!
Last edited by Meatball on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

If you are holing the brake handle down when you try, a sticking/rusted starter pinion comes to mind. Might need to pull it out, sand it smooth, regrease and try again. Maybe even bench test the starter. If you do a bench test and it's not working come back here we can for sure lead you to the parts to rebuild the starter.
Sb69
Noob
Noob

Post by Sb69 »

It was the brake lever! Still havent gotten it started but the starter is good!