Spree NQ50 86 hard to start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Quinn15
Noob
Noob

Spree NQ50 86 hard to start

Post by Quinn15 »

I just got a spree nq50 1986 from a guy who restores them. Unfortunately I bought it in the cold and with a dead battery so I was only able to see it start with the kickstart after a few hard kicks. Got it home, put in a brand new fully charged battery and it won't start with the electric start even when the engine is warmed up. The starter turns the engine over, I've never gone longer than maybe 5-6 3 second burst cause I don't want to burn out the starter. Ever time I turn it off I have to kick it several times pretty fast to get it to start up, doesn't matter if it's been running for a while.

I took the carb out and cleaned it, everything is clean all holes and jets clear. I hooked the bystarter up to 12v and watched it slowly move out. I confirmed oil pump is working. Even mixed 32-1 in the tank with the oil pump disconnected. Haven't made any headway on starting. It can get it running pretty fast and have adjusted the mix and throttle screws with no changes in start performance. The guy said he just replaced the air filter and spark plug. I checked the air filter and it looked good.

I'm going to pull the muffler next to see if it's plugged at all, BBQ it if it necessary.

Any suggestions on what to focus on? I'm obviously a noob and don't have a huge budget for this thing but I'd like to get it as happy as I can. Just don't quite know what to focus on.

Thanks!
Quinn15
Noob
Noob

Re: Spree NQ50 86 hard to start

Post by Quinn15 »

Still having issues. Compression is over 100. I was thinking the engine was getting flooded cause I had no power under 10mph (or up hills) and above that could accelerate and reach 30 easily. I rode a buddies of the same year and there is definitely something going on with mine. I tried replacing the float needle but after that it seemed like it was running way too lean even with pilot pin set to rich. I’ve cleaned the carb like 5 times now.

I’m running a #65 jet. Moped is an 86. Ive tried the air mix at 1 3/8 like the service manual says and 1 7/8 like the technical docs say. Tried a new spark. Immediately Is is black and when with gas. Would really love some input.
PaulAustin
Noob
Noob

Post by PaulAustin »

Did you ever solve this issue? Mine has similar symptoms... what fix got you running again?
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

Assuming that you have CLEANED the slow jet, main jet, emulsion tube, bystarter hole in carb bowl, etc.and you don't have any air leaks, it sounds like you may have a crank seal issue or maybe the reeds.