Removing Speedo Worm Gear in Brake Hub

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

handsomeman
Noob
Noob

Removing Speedo Worm Gear in Brake Hub

Post by handsomeman »

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully removed the worm drive/gear in the front hub of a Honda Elite or Spree? There is a circular piece that is pressed in from the speedometer cable side that holds the worm gear in. I wanted to see if there is a technique before I apply flame heat to the brake hub.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Re: Removing Speedo Worm Gear in Brake Hub

Post by harleyracer59 »

what is wrong with the gear? the speedo drive gear is metal and the axle/ wheel drive gear is plastic. the plastic teeth on the axle gear usually shear off. only need to carefully pull the seal inside the brake panel then that gear can be removed with needle nose pliers. if metal gear is frozen, soak the gear in penetrating fluid sometimes you might need to heat up to get moving freely. after you remove brake shoes, seal and plastic gear first.
then once it spins, lube up with grease then install new plastic gear and seal. this seal is supposed to keep grease in speedo drive and not inside the drum with the shoes.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The circular piece just prys out carefully. Using something without sharp edges as not to rip it during said pry. Use muscle and that sucker will come out.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
handsomeman
Noob
Noob

Post by handsomeman »

Not worth the price to replace the plastic sheered gear. You can swap the internals from a new Honda Dio 50 unit for next to nothing. Dio uses a different count of teeth so you need to swap the worm gear as well.
handsomeman
Noob
Noob

Post by handsomeman »

After attempting this. I discovered the gears are cut in a different direction so most likely you will cause your speedometer cable to run in the opposite direction.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

All depends what scoot youre talking about. You didnt specify what you have. The Spree and SB50 have the hub on the right side as the SE50 and SA50 are on the left. The gears are cut reversed when you switch sides. I have replaced Spree plastic speedo gear with an SB50 one and its a perfect fit.

Finding the gear alone is tough...easier to just get an entire brake hub. Theyre everywhere.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
handsomeman
Noob
Noob

Post by handsomeman »

I was replacing a SA50.